Interface suggestions?

jeremyandstuff

Another newbie question here...

As stated in my previous post, I am a longtime home recordist who is finally looking to upgrade all of my primitive gear after many, many years. Since I am primarily a guitarist, I previously used the Line 6 UX2 interface for all of my instruments since that's what I started out on a decade ago.

I am currently looking at a couple of simple interface options to go with my new setup: either the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the PreSonus Audio Box iTwo. These both seem to be very popular and well-regarded models.

I record mostly by myself and never need to record more than one instrument at a time, so I don't need anything too fancy. I basically record electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, keyboards and occasional vocals. And that's about it. I can't imagine needing anything with more than 2 instrument/mic inputs. I'm guessing that most of the time, I'll just be using 1, but I want to have the option to use a couple of mics on acoustic guitar parts.

So... Does anyone have a preference when it comes to Focusrite vs. PreSonus? Seems like they have very similar specs, and maybe one doesn't necessarily have a big advantage over the other (I'm leaning toward Focusrite at the moment). Or maybe you have some recommendations for other low-priced interfaces? Thanks.

I have no personal experience of the Line 6 gear but some investigations a few weeks ago revealed it to be pretty good and most notably, having low latency.
This is vital if you want to play along with previously recorded tracks (if you don't or won't use software sounds, ignore this!) .

I have no idea how low the latency can be wrought on either of the interfaces you mention but one I do know will work is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Very low latency and super stable drivers. Yes, it has two extra line inputs and outputs you didn't ask for but add a small mixer and you have 4 track recording!

Dave.

I was just wondering whether buying an old mac pro that has support for the current interface i can give him as you can pick them up for around £90 was cheaper than buying a new interface. The three questions i am waiting for an answer for are:
1. Was there any problems between using an old OS and people using new software?
2. What is the tascam us1641 like as tascam seem to update their drivers?
3. Not really a questionbut hes runnung on a very tight budget.

I was just wondering whether buying an old mac pro that has support for the current interface i can give him as you can pick them up for around £90 was cheaper than buying a new interface. The three questions i am waiting for an answer for are:
1. Was there any problems between using an old OS and people using new software?
2. What is the tascam us1641 like as tascam seem to update their drivers?
3. Not really a questionbut hes runnung on a very tight budget.

Well of course your Opo must cut his financial cloth best he thinks. But IF he is gong to be strapped for the foreseeable future surely it makes sense for him to buy the best, most future proof rig he can NOW?

I cannot answer those questions, still waiting for a mac person. If you are asking "does the Tascam SOUND good?" Then yes, I would say it does but then there really are no "bad" sounding AIs once you get past $90 or so. Apogee will (I understand!) beat most things sound qualitywise but then most of us don't have the monitors, rooms or sources to tell!

Dave.

Thanks. Well buying the best futre proof rig is out of the question as he doesnt have the money where buying a cheaper interface or computer would be in the manageable price range.

Is anyone a mac person here or has everyone switched to pc? As im pretty sure he can work both its just never have i seen anyone record to a pc and ive been in hundreds of studios and home recording setups.

Thanks. Well buying the best futre proof rig is out of the question as he doesnt have the money where buying a cheaper interface or computer would be in the manageable price range.

Is anyone a mac person here or has everyone switched to pc? As im pretty sure he can work both its just never have i seen anyone record to a pc and ive been in hundreds of studios and home recording setups.

There are a few Mac guys around here. But you do know that there is really not much difference between them now right?

There was a time when mac's were the shizzle. Maybe because Protools worked best with it? Who cares, it not a debate. A Windows system is completely capable when built and setup properly. At close to half the price.

Honestly, I might possibly go with a mac for a laptop. For a tower? Totally build a beast with Windows.

I know nothing about computers i only use my wifes tablet to check football scores and look up manuals for all my ancient gear. Would building a pc work with the alesis multimix 16 firewire as he can basically afford a new computer a pc tower as my brother in lawmcan build one for the price of the components. Or the old mac pro option.

I just need someone with a mac to say if stems get sent from old to new are compatible.

The third option is a new cheap interface for a mac running el capitan as the tascam i mentioned earlier seems to keep the drivers updated for each new os.

Stems? Define what you mean by that please?

Audio files are the same. Well, wav files are standard. You can export and share them no matter what the platform is. Mac or PC.

It is the software that Mac or PC runs that would limit you to sharing project data. In other words, if you use Cubase, and another uses Studio One (insert any DAW here), you cannot share the project files that contain information of where audio is placed in the files. But, you can always export the wav files and import them into any software or computer. You just need to make sure they all start at the same point so the receiver doesn't go insane trying to figure it out.

I hope this helps.

"I just need someone with a mac to say if stems get sent from old to new are compatible. "

I know nothing of macs and am no PC guru either but I think the above would simply be down to the DAW software used? E.g, If he had Cubase surely that will allow tracks/stems to play regardless of platform? (Cubase will run on both mac and PC) .

In the PC world "pro" music is saved and shunted about as .wavs and these are totally PC universal AKAIK. Any DAW, any AI, any PC will open .wavs.

You were warned off the Multimix a few threads ago? I would heed that warning. When the mixer came out it seemed too good to be true at the price. The fact that it appears to have sunk without trace would seem to confirm that it was!

Jimms..You beat me to the qwerty!

Dave.

I know nothing about computers i only use my wifes tablet to check football scores and look up manuals for all my ancient gear. Would building a pc work with the alesis multimix 16 firewire as he can basically afford a new computer a pc tower as my brother in lawmcan build one for the price of the components. Or the old mac pro option.

I just need someone with a mac to say if stems get sent from old to new are compatible.

The third option is a new cheap interface for a mac running el capitan as the tascam i mentioned earlier seems to keep the drivers updated for each new os.

Hey I'm a mac guy but really you'd need more specific info to get an answer on compatibility.
What do you mean by stems?
If you're talking about bounced wavs those can be imported to any windows or mac setup.

If you're interested in full session compatibility we'd need to know what software you're using and what versions are involved.

Ive seen some great results from it but its anyone's opinion whats shit or not.

As far as i can see the tascam us1641 seems to be the best option for the price range.

Ive seen some great results from it but its anyone's opinion whats shit or not.

As far as i can see the tascam us1641 seems to be the best option for the price range.

:)

Great results from "it"? Dood, it would really help if you made it clear what you are referring to...

The US 1641 is a discontinued interface. Not sure the old drivers will work with W10 or mac. Do some research before making the purchase. :)

:)

Great results from "it"? Dood, it would really help if you made it clear what you are referring to...

The US 1641 is a discontinued interface. Not sure the old drivers will work with W10 or mac. Do some research before making the purchase. :)

+1. I know the friend has a low budget (but, WTGR, having a low budget is NOT the same as being broke or not having access to finance!) .

He, the friend, seems to want to do at least "semi-professional" work and he surely owes it to his clients not to used an outdated, possibly troublesome and clunky system?

Dave.

It is a course of no money so as it seems the us1641 works witn the current system on his mac.

Or its a course of getting an old mac and using the alesis.

So after doing a few sessions he would be able to get something really good like a motu or something.

It is a course of no money so as it seems the us1641 works witn the current system on his mac.

Or its a course of getting an old mac and using the alesis.

So after doing a few sessions he would be able to get something really good like a motu or something.

Ok, in that case I would definitely go for the Tascam but I have to say IMHO it is no way to start a business in such a hand to mouth fashion.

I sincerely wish him better times and I would suggest RME or a top end Focusrite over MOTU based on recent reading. Others MMV.

Dave.

He just needs to get going. Some people start on 4 track cassette recorder like i did but everyones on a computer now so its just whats the most effective way of getting started.

I would let him play in my studio but i just dont have the time in it to give him a chance.

Back