Interface for large multi track recording.

calewarren

Hi all, first post.

I am wondering how to go about trying to simultaneously record as many tracks as possible (from a 32 channel desk)?

I thought of aggregating multiple sound cards but then suffer the word clock issues that go with it. Is there a interface that will allow word clock in and out (most are only out). Or anyone have any other solution that may work for me.

Cheers,
Cale

Do you really need 32 simultaneous inputs? I have 24 and rarely have I needed all 24 at once. Look at some of the MOTU stuff.

From the research I have been doing, PCI Card with ADAT capabilities seems the way to get into the higher multi channel inputs.

But, might sound condescending, on your DAW software, your inputs have nothing to do with your track count. I have just a two channel and have easily 15-20 tracks.

Hope you are not confusing multi-inputs with number of tracks.

Thanks for the responses.

I play in a 15 piece jazz / ska band with 6pc horn section, 2 percussionists and a drummer so I would like to not have to do too much re-recording, which is why 24+ channels is required. I have only needed to record rock bands until now so it has not been an issue only having 16 channels.

I also understand that inputs have no correlation to tracks (I have been using Cubase since 3SX, Logic since 5 before it was owned by Apple, and have been running Ableton Live since version 7, I also regularly beta test Ableton updates, and have spent the last month or so testing 9.1's dual monitor capabilities).

PCi or Ethernet seem to be the way to do it and as Ethernet looks to be the dearer option I shall go for the RME PCi card.

Thanks for the help guys.

The most cost effective solution would probably be a MOTU PCIe-424 system. It can take up to 4 MOTU interfaces for 96 channels at 96kHz. I would personally go with the 24io and an 2408Mk3.

Check on ebay. They're older but still useful technologies.

Cheers :)

Motu also lets you gang multiple units to run under one instance of their asio driver control.

On my Motu828mkII, I could add a ADAT expander (8pre, Octopre, etc) for 20 channels, then add 2 more similar setups to my firewire chain to get 60 i/o.

There are other interface companies that let you run multiple boxes simultaneous, if they've written their drivers properly. You have to check.

Whats the budget? I would suggest something like a Tascam X-48 Mk2 with the 2 x 24 track analog cards fitted. A lot of live recording guys use these, can record 48 tracks at once, rock solid.

Alan.

Back