interface or instrument - please help!

cpt howdy

Hi there,

I bought a Peavey Xport (Dec 14) and up until now it has been the best money that I've ever spent on a guitar related product. I use it to record directly into mixcraft 6 and have had a lot of success with the product and its interaction with the DAW. Until now...!

I was recording a few parts into mixcraft, when - how British of me - I went to make a cup of tea. I left my guitar leaning against a chair and upon my return there was NO OUTPUT AUDIO! Absolutely none. Nada. I removed the instrument lead and the DAW registered the expected noise, however the minute I plugged it into the guitar (Epiphone Sheraton) it went completely dead. I changed the lead - same effect. I presumed the issue must be related to my guitar wiring - probably output jack related - and went to bed.

The following day, I painstakingly removed the output jack (it's a hollow bodied guitar) and examined it and there was no damage. Perplexed, I went and plugged it in to an amplifier AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY!?! Assuming the problem to be an intermittent bug I plugged the guitar back in to the xport, but sure enough, completely dead...

OK, I thought, let's try another instrument with the same leads and same xport interface. I plugged in my drum machine. Works perfectly!

So - what's occurring? My guitar works fine through an amplifier, but goes dead through the xport. My drum machine works fine through the xport with the exact set up... All the leads etc are fine and have been verified... the only clue that I've got is that the audio goes completely dead when I plug it in to the guitar which 'may' suggest that something is short circuiting in the guitar wiring - but only when it goes through the interface as it's perfect through an amplifier....

All in all I'm very perplexed -

Please help!

Wow, that's weird. I have no idea what's going on, but just a guess…does your interface use drivers? Is it Windows? Maybe it's a software or config issue that just came at the "wrong" time?

thanks for replying!!!

Not sure - it's a possibility - hadn't thought of running a system restore. Only thing I can't work out is why the drum machine still works - surely it works at the same line level as the guitar output. And if it's the wiring getting earthed or something in the guitar - why does it still work through the amplifier... is there something 'unusual' that happens in the interface that doesn't happen in the amp or would it be able to detect and reject an input from the pickups over the drum machine... I'm going to try another guitar today (may have to borrow from a friend) to see if it's unique to my Sheraton.

Thanks again - still perplexed - J.

If the Xport works with the drum machine audio going through it into mixcraft, then I can see the problem being with Xport and its path to computer.

However, I note that the output of the drum machine is line level, which would be more than from the guitar. Is it possible the level ha gone way down? Maybe the side of the XPort where the level control is rested against something and got pushed.

You startted this same thread in another place - but question I asked there - are you using the same cable between guitar and Xport and drum machine and Xport? 1/4" plugs can be "off" and not quite make connections sometimes.

You startted this same thread in another place - but question I asked there - are you using the same cable between guitar and Xport and drum machine and Xport? 1/4" plugs can be "off" and not quite make connections sometimes.

I knew I replied to this thread! I thought I was going crazy.

Back