The Interface Growing Pains

Formyson

Long story short, bought a new Mac. It came running OSX 10.10. Bought Akai interface. Not the best choice. Free software was not compatible so I bought Logic Pro X. Interface ended up being a pain in the ass to dial in so I upgraded. We also decided we wanted more inputs to record drums. Did some research and bought a PreSonus 1818vsl. I knew this would be the answer to all our problems.

The driver is not compatible with 10.10. Oh it took me awhile to find this out PreSonus support wanted to run me through the ringer trying a bunch of stuff first. I now either buy a third interface or wait until a new driver is released.

I don't understand why these companies are not up with things. PreSonus said that Apple really makes it hard to keep current during their OSX development. Well 10.10 has been out for 7 months. I would think that they could get a driver out by then. The box said it was compatible with Mac. This is all very frustrating and we just want to record.

I know people like to stick with the computers they like, but have you thought about getting rid of the mac and going with Windows? If you've been using a Mac since day one, then I can understand why you would be reluctant to do this.

Long story short, bought a new Mac. It came running OSX 10.10. Bought Akai interface. Not the best choice. Free software was not compatible so I bought Logic Pro X. Interface ended up being a pain in the ass to dial in so I upgraded. We also decided we wanted more inputs to record drums. Did some research and bought a PreSonus 1818vsl. I knew this would be the answer to all our problems.

The driver is not compatible with 10.10. Oh it took me awhile to find this out PreSonus support wanted to run me through the ringer trying a bunch of stuff first. I now either buy a third interface or wait until a new driver is released.

I don't understand why these companies are not up with things. PreSonus said that Apple really makes it hard to keep current during their OSX development. Well 10.10 has been out for 7 months. I would think that they could get a driver out by then. The box said it was compatible with Mac. This is all very frustrating and we just want to record.

With respect, whether you have a PC or an apple computer, it is on you to make sure that what you buy is going to be compatible.

Saying "compatible with mac" on the box, means about as much as "compatible with windows", especially when you don't know how old the box is. ;)

I know it's not much help to you now but always visit the manufacturers site and check for driver downloads for your operating system before making a purchase.
You say you "did some research" but the drive page for 1818vsl specifically says "Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.".

If you don't have a lot to lose on your system, you could download and fresh-reinstall Mavericks, since it's free.
I don't imagine that being convenient for many people, though.

I know people like to stick with the computers they like, but have you thought about getting rid of the mac and going with Windows? If you've been using a Mac since day one, then I can understand why you would be reluctant to do this.

Little bit over the top, no?
Just buy a compatible interface.

Back