Interface Frustration

Oscar Myer

Greetings all... my first post.

I bought a Steinburg UR22 mkll interface last week. I have been pulling my hair out since getting it because I can't get it to work. I'm beginning to wonder if it is compatible with Windows 10/Sonar Platinum. Here are my specs and how I have it set up, and my problem:

Windows 10 Pro

The Steinberg' latest drivers are installed.

Roland PC-200 MIDI controller OUT – goes to
Steinberg UR22 mkll IN
Steinberg UR22 mkll OUT – goes to
Ketron SD 2 MIDI sound module IN

Sonar Platinum – records MIDI but no sound
Sonar Platinum – plays back MIDI but no sound

There is also no sound from the Steinberg earphone

Audio record and playback works with sound

Like I said... it does WORK... everything is going in and coming out of Sonar... except for sound.
I get the same results when I use the copy of Cubase that came with the interface.
Should I start looking for another interface or is there something that I'm missing with the Steinberg setup? I do know that the UR22 mkll is a discontinued product... could it be because of incompatible issues within Windows 10 and/or Sonar?

I was using my Mackie Onyx 820i mixer until Windows 10 came along. Mackie seems to have decided to stop putting out drivers for it and it is now obsolete.

Any and all help would be so appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to HR. :)

The only place you would get sound in that setup is from the SD 2.

Your recording software and Steinberg interface are seeing midi data which is pretty much sheet music; Instructions.
If you want to hear sound straight out of software or the interface, you'll have to set up a virtual instrument to receive and process the midi data, or return audio from the SD2.

Your recording software and Steinberg interface are seeing midi data which is pretty much sheet music; Instructions.
If you want to hear sound straight out of software or the interface, you'll have to set up a virtual instrument to receive and process the midi data, or return audio from the SD2.
I know so very little things MIDI ...but for fun :rolleyes:
The DAW is recording midi 'info, (only.
Which is generated by the Roland -which doesn't include 'what inst/sounds(?
And the Ketron -perhaps, and its sounds' are irrelevant (unless captured as audio)?
Then the midi tracks are assigned instruments and sounds in the DAW via VST(?

Yeah, that's right.

It really is just like sheet music. Best to think of it like that. There's no sound unless there's an instrument to read the midi.

If you use a virtual instrument in your daw then the sd2 isn't being used and doesn't need to be connected.

If you use the sd2 as the instrument, you'll need analog returns back to your interface and then your DAW will be getting sound on channels 1+2, or whatever, which you'd want to record.

In the second scenario, midi can go directly from PC200 out to SD2 in if you just want to record a live performance.
If you want to keep a record of the midi data so you can edit/adjust/fix then leave your midi cable config as-is.

Oh my!!! So much technical stuff for a 61 year old newb! I remember the day when I had a Sound Blaster Audigy card in my computer and it was virtually a plug and play situation. From that I went to the Mackie. It proved to have a learning curve but I got it working pretty good until Win 10. I never thought I would hear myself saying that I miss the Mackie... but from where I'm at now, I actually do miss it. :D
When you say I should "set up a virtual instrument"... does that mean I have to buy the instruments software or can I set it up to use the SD2? If so, would you be able to give me a hand in setting it up? I'm totally in the dark with this virtual instruments thing.

I do remember, going back 20 years or more, the newest MIDI technology was a thing called "sound fonts". This was back when GM (128 sounds) was in use and we all know how bad and chintzy that sounds compare to what we have today. The sound fonts were supposed to be a vast improvement over GM... but they weren't. They were just as chintzy.

If I have to buy the software, would you have any suggestions as to which one I should be looking at? It goes without saying, though, I would really rather not put out any large amount of money for something that I'm just playing with. I do mostly country music and some old rock and roll.

Thanks to all for the comebacks!!! Much appreciated.

Things change pretty quickly, huh?
The good news is, the fundamentals don't change all that much.

Your SD2 can serve as your instrument, if that's what you like using. Virtual instruments (plugins for your recording suite) are another alternative, but the choice is yours.

The most straight forward no-frills setup using the gear that you would be

PC200 midi out to SD2 midi in
then SD2 analog audio outs to ur22 analog audio ins.
The analog audio should be 1/4" cables at both ends.

Your recording software should be set up with two mono audio tracks, or one stereo audio track (depends on the software), armed and recording from UR22 inputs.

That'll allow you to record a real time audio performance, sounding like whatever instrument is chosen in the SD2.

I don't know anything about how to configure that SD2; In fact, I don't know any of that hardware first hand so hopefully someone else can jump in if you need more help. :)
[MENTION=7442]mixsit[/MENTION] - I thought you were the Op when I replied to you!

You sir are a miracle worker in my books!!!

Actually, the setup I mentioned in my original post is the same...
PC-200 MIDI out to UR22 MIDI IN
UR22 MIDI OUT to SD2 MIDI IN
Here's where the miracle comes in: SD2 "OUT" (Left and Right RCA outputs) to UR22 " "INPUT 1" (1/4 input on the front of the UR22) This connection is made possible with a RCA to 1/4 cable... the same cable that I threw away on Monday. So I did a bit of trash can diving to reclaim it. And so, I DID have everything hooked up the way it was supposed to be... I was just missing one cable. But it was you who finally managed to get it into my head that this connection was the only way I would get sound from my "sound card" (UR22)

Now, being a sucker for punishment, my next ordeal will be to use my other sound module at the same time. It's an old Rolland JV-1010 but still has a lot of great sounds. I'm thinking that it may be the same setup as the SD22. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I might be picking your brain again going forward.:D

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Hey, Glad you got going, and glad to help. :)

Oops.. Seems like there's a few version of the SD2 with either RCA or 1/4". Didn't spot that.

The cable you're using will 'work' but won't be quite right, particularly with stereo instruments or effects
Keeping it simple, you want a single RCA to 1/4" cable for mono, or a pair for stereo(using inputs 1+2 on the interface), but not any kind of joiner/splitter as you're using now.

The JV-1010, or anything similar, should work exactly the same way.
Wether the physical connector is RCA/1/4" or XLR doesn't really matter to you, as long as it's labelled or described as a 'line output'

Either way...Progress. :) progress is good.

Yes... progress is very good. :) Thanks again
I was sure I put a quick reply here regarding the metronome and not being able to hear it... if you do come across said post, disregard. Can you believe that I solved that one myself? :D

Well... Although I thought I was on the road to happiness, when I came back to reality.
Yes, I do have sound going into and coming out of my DAW (Sonar) now. The problem now is I can't do anything with the track. For one thing, I can't pan the track. I can't apply effects, like reverb, to the track. The only way I see myself doing any of this is to record the MIDI track into an audio track. I've never had to do this in the past.

I connected the SD2 to the UR22 with a RCA to 1/4 cable - not a splitter cable. I tried it left to left and right to right, and both for stereo. Nothing seems to be working. I'm really coming to my wit's end.

Question: Is there something else I can buy that would make my life easier? Something that would resemble a "plug and play" scenario for MIDI? I can still use the UR22 for audio (Vocals, guitar) but there's got to be a better, easier way for MIDI.

Time to shut down, take a Valium and go to bed. (just kidding about the Valium :))

In the DAW, and I'm not familiar with Sonar, but if you can't do things to a software instrument track, you can almost always take your track and instead of sending it to the Master/Stereo Out, send it to a BUS, and there you can apply effects. I have no idea why you couldn't pan a MIDI track. It's going somewhere stereo, either Master or a bus, but no pan? That's like no volume fader. Makes no sense.

In the DAW, and I'm not familiar with Sonar, but if you can't do things to a software instrument track, you can almost always take your track and instead of sending it to the Master/Stereo Out, send it to a BUS, and there you can apply effects. I have no idea why you couldn't pan a MIDI track. It's going somewhere stereo, either Master or a bus, but no pan? That's like no volume fader. Makes no sense.

You see? Now there lies my problem. I've never used a bus - except to go downtown a few times :D - so I really wouldn't know how to use one, although I could learn from other posts and YT videos. Before getting this interface I always had a plug and play situation... no muss, no fuss. The only "technical" stuff I had to do was to assign my instruments (SD2 sound module) in Sonar. I mostly use only MIDI in my songs and so it is very important that I get this up and running properly.

I was looking at dedicated MIDI interfaces, particularly the MOTU MIDI Express 128. From what I understand, this would give me the plug and play capability that I'm looking for. It seems that I could hook up a total of 8 MIDI sound modules to it without any problems. I've already got two of them. But if someone out there who knows a lot more than I do about this stuff (as in the rest of the world), maybe he/she might be able to give me more opinions and guidance before I make the purchase.

All I want to do is to open up my DAW, turn on my MIDI modules and make music - and do it as easy as possible.

Thanks for the comeback... very much appreciated!

... All I want to do is to open up my DAW, turn on my MIDI modules and make music - and do it as easy as possible.

Thanks for the comeback... very much appreciated!

And once you do start getting it worked out... Templates.
They're extremely cool path for new projects set up the way you like to work.
'Save As, refine and collect them as you go. :D
It does get easier !

Back