Interface Firewire to either USB or eSata

stevem5000

I have a Motu PRE 8 interface I want to connect to my laptop...
The Motu uses Firewire out...

My laptop has USB2, HDMI, and eSata inputs...

Is there some way I can convert the Firewire to either USB, HDMI or eSata...???

Laptop is Win 7 64, 8Gb RAM all running on an SSD...pretty quick...

I am seeing things like this cable...
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB3S2ESATA 3 Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to eSATA Cable Adapter: Electronics

But if possible I would like to hear from someone who has actually made this conversion somehow...

thoughts and opinions appreciated..

The problem is getting firewire to work with ANYTHING. Most firewire devices don't work well with MOST firewire adapters or even TB to FW adapters. Now we're going to throw into the mix that we need it to go from eSata or HDMI.
I wouldn't even try USB2...not enough throughput.
You're going to have to convince your software that your audio device is on the eSATA port? That probably will go down in flames as well.
That leaves HDMI (which can be used as an audio source, but darned if I'd want to try it. ASIO out the window.
Are there any internal expansion ports that could house a 1394 card? If so, make sure you get the TI chipset...all I got.

The problem is getting firewire to work with ANYTHING.

Is this really a thing? I see it so much that I'm genuinely curious.
I've used digi001,002,003,firepod,fire studio mobile, and motu 828 mk2 across two laptops and three desktops without so much as a hiccup, ever.

Are there any internal expansion ports that could house a 1394 card?
This ^. If there's no FW/TB compatible expansion slot I wouldn't bother.

No, it's an exaggeration. Thus the all caps ANYTHING...I had a lovely M-Audio Firewire Solo that did everything I ever wanted, but bobbed out on audio playback every once in a while. Gave it to the church when I got my 1800 and we can't get it to record 1 minute of program without completely locking up the entire computer...with the same interface card and DAW.

Just go online and try to buy a laptop with either a Firewire port or an Expressbus port you can plug a FW adaptor into. Two and a bit years ago I searched for several weeks to find one and the situation is worse now.

...dunno what I'm going to do at the next upgrade time.

Back