Interface doesnt recognize mic

fuk_tHElaWzzz

my emu usb 0202 doesnt recognize my mic for some reason.. When I have my regular soundcard selected in the volume control tab it will let me adjust the mic volume but when i highlight my emu interface it doesnt. wHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?? I installed the drivers again and that didnt do the trick...

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by your interface not recognizing your mic...

Make sure only one of those interfaces (default sound card or your emu) is enabled at a time, or you will have problems. You can do this from My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Sounds & Audio Devices

Right-click and disable the normal sound card. And make sure the emu is enabled.

After you did what I said, try restarting the computer just in case.

Also, open up the volume panel/mixer thing to make sure it is working for the emu again.

In the device manager, was there a little yellow exclamation mark symbol next to the EMU device? Or a red x? Anything?

If that doesn't work, tell us how you have everything hooked up.

I actually did restart it to no help.... everything seems to work fine with the emu and no there no exclamaition marks in device manager... I plugged the cord from my computer speakers into the stereo jack on the emu with headphones connected in the front and my mic connected in the back... the emu is connected via usb to the back of the computer

fuk_tHElaWzzz said:
does that matter??? i cant even hear myself on the mic that the REAL PROBLEM

Does the EMU have a mixer with volume meters so you can see the input levels? I think it's called the PatchMix, which is used instead of the Windows Volume Mixer that most normal sound cards use.

Check the volume meters on it to see if you're getting a signal into the computer.

The recording software DOES matter because maybe you don't have it setup properly for your EMU. So maybe sound is getting in no problem but not into the software.

So, what software are you using? And go into the settings/preferences/options menu and find the device options. Make sure the EMU is selected.

What kind of mic are you using? I looked up the EMU 0202 real quick and I would guess (hope) it has 48v phantom power. Most condenser mics require this to work.

you're showing a screen for windows to use it as a recording device.

it will work in wave recorder i'm guessing...but you need to select it in cubase too.

still...is there any software that came with the emu?

Can anyone confirm if the EMU 0202 has full 48v phantom power? It says 'Class-A' preamps in the description but I don't know exactly what that means. :o

So this is how you have it hooked up?

Recording:
AT2020 -> Microphone (XLR) input -> USB to computer

Playback:
Speaker cord -> Input on the front

Are your speakers normal computer speakers or monitors? Are they self-powered? Can you hear other music on the computer? Like if you open an MP3 file can you hear it? Just asking incase you are recording but your playback isn't working. Probably a stupid question but who knows...

danny.guitar said:
Can anyone confirm if the EMU 0202 has full 48v phantom power? It says 'Class-A' preamps in the description but I don't know exactly what that means. :o

So this is how you have it hooked up?

Recording:
AT2020 -> Microphone (XLR) input -> USB to computer

Playback:
Speaker cord -> Input on the front

Are your speakers normal computer speakers or monitors? Are they self-powered? Can you hear other music on the computer? Like if you open an MP3 file can you hear it? Just asking incase you are recording but your playback isn't working. Probably a stupid question but who knows...

speaker cord-> stereo input in back(shows on diagram in manual) and yes my speakers are normal computer ones.. self powered I plug them into the wall . Yes music does play when I play an mp3..

cello_pudding said:
you're showing a screen for windows to use it as a recording device.

it will work in wave recorder i'm guessing...but you need to select it in cubase too.

still...is there any software that came with the emu?

no it wont work whatsoever... it did come with software but i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it... same with the drivers I tried reinstalling them too nothing happened... HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

Is there a "phantom power" button in the back? It might be labelled phantom, or 48v, or something like that. Check for that. Also check the manual to see if it says it has phantom power. If it doesn't then that is most likely the problem.

so your saying if it doesnt have phantom power it wont work??? I highly doubt it does.... theres really nothing I can do huh besides returning the mic??? I can not believe this sh1t im so pissed. i have no idea what to do now i feel like i just hit a brick wall....................all i can say is screw you jesus

theres not anything else i can do to supply my mic with phantom power and connect it to my interface... I really dont wanna wait longer and have been without recording for a while now. If not what mic should i use withoUT phantom power. I seriously need some answers to my problems they are DRIVING ME UP THE F$$kinG wAll :( :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

whoa man...you should read up on things you purchase. coming here with a problem is a huge guessing game for us.

if you read up on your mic and your interface, you would have known all of these things before your purchase, or the very first day. it's not the mics fault, its not the emu's fault, it's not anything but your own.

This is like buying a flashlight and getting pissed that it won't turn on without batteries.

calm down, read your manuals, get one of those phantom power units...it will all be alright.

next time though...read what you are buying and find out if it suits you. not only by the price, but what the things actually do...or in this case, don't do.

Back