Interface is bad? Mac sucks? What?

surjer

Not sure where to go for help but I have moved locations and now my main recording rig is located elsewhere. I am left with my old 2 channel interface which is an M-Audio FastTrack C400. This little guy used to be so solid on windows 7 (5 years ago), but I am now on an iMac and it just disappears at least twice a day and the only way to get it to show back up is a system restart. Any ideas?????

Hi,

It appears to be supported right up to the current Mac OS version
1: Do you have the correct drivers installed for your OS version?

When you say it disappears....Next time it happens can you

2: Check Utilities > Audio Midi Setup to see if it's there and
3: Check System profiler under USB and/or Audio to see if it's there?

So it just crashed again, It is not listed in Audio/Midi setup anymore. But it's still getting powered and lit up so I am guessing its a driver issue? I am on Seirra 10.12.5 and the driver version for the M-Audio I am using is 1.2.11. When I open the FastTrack C400 it says the hardware is not connected. Once I restart it will say it is and be back to normal tho...

What about question three?

1: Do any programs or services show as 'not responding' in Activity Monitor when the c400 isn't accessible?

2: Does opening terminal and typing 'sudo killall coreaudiod' without quotes change anything when the c400 isn't accessible?? (this will prompt you for system password - type it blind then hit enter)

I've read about the c400 refusing to reconnect once disconnected.
3: Is there anything consistently coinciding with the issue; Anything that could conceivably disconnect it?
Maybe DAW crash, system sleep/hibernate, entering a powersaving state...anything like that?

Ah, you will have to forgive me because I am pretty new to mac. (I only switched cause I figured it would be more stable!) lol... In your most recent message... 1.) How do I check that?

2.) I have no idea how to do this! lol

3.) I have not been able to nail down anything that could lead to repeating this behavior. I am a windows software developer so I am familiar with bug reporting and this is one of the ones as a developer i throw my hands up and say "it works on my machine!" haha... I did a bit of reading today too and saw folks complaining about having to restart after a disconnect so I am guessing that is just the nature of this interface. However, the suddon disconnect is boggling. I can however HEAR what I think is a bit of "clicking" in my monitors soon after it disconnects. The sort of sound a cable might make when being inserted into an output jack. Sooo.. I replaced all of the connecting cables with new ones and will see if maybe it was a cable issue causing a short possibly????

Ah, you will have to forgive me because I am pretty new to mac. (I only switched cause I figured it would be more stable!) lol... In your most recent message...

Nice irony there. :p
Don't be put off too much. It does seem, from googling, that the c400 wouldn't be my first choice as an OSX interface.
That's a shame, particularly when they're making up to date drivers, but, as I say, the complains I'm seeing are almost exclusively about issues re-connecting.
The random disconnect seems to be your own personal hell. :(

2.) I have no idea how to do this! lol

Terminal is in Utilities folder. Just open it, paste the command, and then type your password when prompted.
There won't be any visual feedback that your password is being put in. That's normal.

The command will restart the system audio process. It may, or may not, reinitialise your interface.

* FYI, spotlight will find any app instantly on mac. cmd+space then type 'ter'.....Terminal will pop up.

That covers 1: too. Spotlight and start to type 'activity monitor'. It will find it.
It's just like windows task manager, really. If any process or app is red, it's not responding.
My guess is that coreaudiod won't be responding and that maybe we can trawl through console logs to find out why. Super long shot, all the same.

I can however HEAR what I think is a bit of "clicking" in my monitors soon after it disconnects. The sort of sound a cable might make when being inserted into an output jack. Sooo.. I replaced all of the connecting cables with new ones and will see if maybe it was a cable issue causing a short possibly????

The USB cable was replaced too, yeah?
It'd do no harm to replace it and use a different USB port too just to rule out loose connections or damage for both.

Edit: I just read a post where someone claimed their c400 was drawing too much power and shutting down the USB port as a safety precaution.
If you happen to own a USB powered hub you could try plugging the c400 into it and it into the MBP. Worth a shot....

Thanks so much for your detailed message! So far It has held steady so I have hi hopes that it holds strong. I do have a powered hub and will go ahead and switch that over too just to be sure. My original thought was to leave it as minimal as possible but the power draw makes sense so if it starts to crash again I will try that. My mac is the 27" iMac. As for choice in interfaces I purchased this thing years ago as an upgrade from a lexicon. I really enjoyed it because it had very low latency using the midi. (I am triggering superior drummer from an electronic drum kit) so the low latency was nice. My main interface is a Presonus studio Live and I absolutely love it. I may just grab one of those PreSonus Studio 2|6's or something if this thing continues to bomb out. I am not a fan of the pre's on the C400 anyways so i dunno. Just ranting at this point I think.. haha Anyways, thank you so much for all your help and teaching me about the mac!

edit: Yes the USB cable was also replaced when i switched all the cables around...

Thanks so much for your detailed message! So far It has held steady so I have hi hopes that it holds strong.

Oh wow, that's great! What do you attribute that to?
Everything I've asked so far is just to try and learn more. No potential fix suggestions, apart from the powered hub thing.

Well, hopefully it stays good.
If not you can try the powered hub and if that bombs, you can always go back to post #6 and pick up where we left off. :)

Out of interest, what do you develop?

Anyways, thank you so much for all your help and teaching me about the mac!

No worries. MacOS has been my main for years now. If I can help with anything, please just ask. :)

I am guessing it was probably the usb cable itself. I replaced the old small skinny cable with a nice thick cable. Still holding strong! As for development my 9-5 is in Land Surveying and I write software for 3D Mapping support. Currently working with stereo imaging from drone sensors. I actually love it! I broke away for a while to do music full time but what I found was that the music industry was WAYYY more stressful as a business so now I use it as a fun outlet again. My main focus musically is supporting my Metal Collaborations project. It's a very low commitment easy way to record/write music on MY terms! lol No band drama. I invite people to collab with and if their parts work, great, if not I can it and do it myself! lolz.. Mainly a project to meet people and stay connected with other musicians and just have fun.. If you get bored and want to check it out here is a playlist I made of all of our songs to date. (Been Doing them almost 5 years now)..

Once again, thank you kindly for all your help through this. I have posted many places and you were the only one to offer any assistance!

Metal Collaborations - YouTube

facebook linky - Metal Collaborations - Accueil | Facebook

I am guessing it was probably the usb cable itself. I replaced the old small skinny cable with a nice thick cable. Still holding strong!

Ha. Let's hope it's that simple!

As for development my 9-5 is in Land Surveying and I write software for 3D Mapping support. Currently working with stereo imaging from drone sensors. I actually love it! I broke away for a while to do music full time but what I found was that the music industry was WAYYY more stressful as a business so now I use it as a fun outlet again. My main focus musically is supporting my Metal Collaborations project. It's a very low commitment easy way to record/write music on MY terms! lol No band drama. I invite people to collab with and if their parts work, great, if not I can it and do it myself! lolz.. Mainly a project to meet people and stay connected with other musicians and just have fun.. If you get bored and want to check it out here is a playlist I made of all of our songs to date. (Been Doing them almost 5 years now).

Ah, very cool!
Some of the guys around here collab from time to time. I'm sure how many metallers there are around but have a nosey and see who you see.

If you get bored and want to check it out here is a playlist I made of all of our songs to date. (Been Doing them almost 5 years now)..

Once again, thank you kindly for all your help through this. I have posted many places and you were the only one to offer any assistance!

Checking now. thanks for the link.
No problem. Glad to help, if I can. :)

Just an update, I went ahead and plugged the interface into a powered usb hub and I have not had any crashes yet... So, it seems I am up and running smooth! So much for that excuse of upgrading! haha

That's good news! Thanks for the update.
I guess it draws more current than the iMac is happy with.

Ah well. Not the worst work around in the world. Hope it holds up. :)

Back