Interface advice wanted: Edirol, Focusrite, M-audio Presonus? - best bang for the $

Which of these interfaces

• Edirol FA-66

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Focusrite Saffire

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • M-Audio 1814

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Presonus Firebox

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters

Chipster

Hey Gang,
I am going to buy one of these in the next couple of days, but wanted all of your input on, which one I should go with. Most of my instruments are coming from my keyboards, sound modules, and virtual synths, but I'd still like to lay down as many tracks at one time as possible. As far as cost goes they are all in the same ball park, the difference of course is in features and I/O,. I'd be willing to give up some of the I/O options if the electronics are really that superior. So everyone please chime in and help me avoid making a mistake that I'll end up regretting. Thanks.
1. is the Edirol FA-66, which I can get for around $350 and of course has 6 ins and 6 outs and a built in compressor.
2. The Focusrite Saffire, $399, which only has 2 analog ins but of course is made by Focusrite deffantly a name to be trusted.
3. M-Audio 1814, I can get a floor model here in town for $388
4. The Presonus Firebox $299 and comes with a free comp16, HP4 TubePre, or a choice of a studio mic. But only has 2 analog ins.

You thoughts are really wanted. Thanks in advance.

Well...It's tough to say. If you didn't have the 1814 in there for such a low price, then I would say Firebox all the way. But for less than $100 more, you get so much more I/O. By the Way, the Firebox actually has 4 analog ins (2 Front, 2 Back) and 1 Stereo SPDIF. I don't think that the Edirol or Focusrite Drivers support chaining more than one together. I'm not sure if the Firebox does or not, but I do know that the Firepod and the new Inspire by Presonus support multiple interfaces on one machine. So..., I think the Firebox is the best bang for buck in it's range, but it would be hard to turn down an 1814 for under $400 as well.

cawhite12 said:
Well...It's tough to say. If you didn't have the 1814 in there for such a low price, then I would say Firebox all the way. But for less than $100 more, you get so much more I/O. By the Way, the Firebox actually has 4 analog ins (2 Front, 2 Back) and 1 Stereo SPDIF. I don't think that the Edirol or Focusrite Drivers support chaining more than one together. I'm not sure if the Firebox does or not, but I do know that the Firepod and the new Inspire by Presonus support multiple interfaces on one machine. So..., I think the Firebox is the best bang for buck in it's range, but it would be hard to turn down an 1814 for under $400 as well.

I've heard so much here about the Presonus stuff, and I've really been leaning that way. I'm glad you told me about the other two analog ins. The way the press kit is written led me to believe that it just had two lxr/1/4 combos on the front and then the stereo digital in. Could probably live with 4 ins, at least I could record two stereo or 4 mono tracks at the same time. That record one instrument at a time can really eat up a day in a hurry. I also agree that it's hard to turn down the 1814 at that price, but like I said, I've heard so much about the Presonus being so clean.

Chipster said:
I've heard so much here about the Presonus stuff, and I've really been leaning that way. I'm glad you told me about the other two analog ins. The way the press kit is written led me to believe that it just had two lxr/1/4 combos on the front and then the stereo digital in. Could probably live with 4 ins, at least I could record two stereo or 4 mono tracks at the same time. That record one instrument at a time can really eat up a day in a hurry. I also agree that it's hard to turn down the 1814 at that price, but like I said, I've heard so much about the Presonus being so clean.

I've got the Firepod (Firebox's big brother?) on order, and I'm using an 1814. I'll say more about Presonus when it arrives. As for the 1814, it's quite nice. The 1814's line inputs sound exceptional to me, when fed with good pres.

As for the 1814's pres, I have a hard time judging. It certainly is orders of magnitude better than my Mackie CR1604 (not VLZ). I've really gotten spoiled by my Peavey PV8 mixer's pres, though, and the 1814's pres don't seem to have quite the same clarity in the high end.

The Firebox has four analog ins, two through the pres, and two line ins.

Yes, 2 MIC/INST Inputs, 2 LINE inputs and 1 Stereo SPDIF input. 6 Inputs 10 outputs.

M-Audio is really cool, but dang, that Safire looks like a lovely thing too, and seems to be good value too.

i have a firebox, and yes it does have 4 analog/line ins. I have had no problems with it and the set up was extremely easy and didnt have to download any new drivers. Works great. The only downside might be that the preamps are kinda weak when trying to record acoustic guitar, but i dont think that would be your problem. Running instruments direct, the preamps are just fine and get good levels :cool:

I stuck in a Firepod for a customer and had amazing luck with it. All my stuff is RME but I have my eye on a Firestudio soon.

The Firepod was hassle free, and got EXTREMLY low latency at low cpu use on an old POS computer. Did the better than the RME HDSP 9652 in this application. The headphone sends and CR level controllers were icing on the cake

So Far Ive only personally recorded drums, bass and electric guitar thru that interface, but the results have been good

Really if you are looking at the focusrite for 399, I would hold out, scrape up the extra hundred bones and get a firepod from resonus. That has 8 mic pre's, and can be hooked up with another for 16 mic ins. Now that being said the MAP on it is 499, but I garuntee you can get one for prolly 450 no problem. All you have to do is ask really and places will sell it for that, they just cant advertise any lower than that.

Bondo said:
Really if you are looking at the focusrite for 399, I would hold out, scrape up the extra hundred bones and get a firepod from resonus. That has 8 mic pre's, and can be hooked up with another for 16 mic ins. Now that being said the MAP on it is 499, but I garuntee you can get one for prolly 450 no problem. All you have to do is ask really and places will sell it for that, they just cant advertise any lower than that.

If you're going to get a FIREPOD, scrape up the extra $50 and get a MOTU 8Pre. Much, much better hardware, IMHO.

dgatwood said:
If you're going to get a FIREPOD, scrape up the extra $50 and get a MOTU 8Pre. Much, much better hardware, IMHO.

Had not seen that before, but if it is from motu, it would be safe to say that would be the better pice of hardware.

Bondo said:
Had not seen that before, but if it is from motu, it would be safe to say that would be the better pice of hardware.

Not better than a Firestudio!

Back