Interface advice for MacBook Pro - specific needs

enuenu

Seeking advice for a new interface for MacBook Pro.
  1. Have 2 x input jacks that can both be switched between mic and guitar input. So you have the options - guitar+guitar, guitar+mic, mic+mic.
  2. Have 2 x headphone outs so when 2x guitars plugged in, both guitarists hear both guitars, including the backing tracks already laid down in Logic Pro X and the plugin effects being applied to each guitar.
  3. While recording 2x guitar cabs in studio via 2x mics, the backing tracks already laid down in Logic Pro X can be sent to PA in the room as a virtual rhythm section for the 2x guitarists playing through guitar amps/cabs.
  4. MacBook Pro only has Thunderbolt ports, so maybe USB - TB conversion cable needed. Native TB interface possibly more stable and faster.
  5. No interference beteeen the inerface's software and Logic Pro X. Just want it to route the signals and let Logic Pro X do all the mixing
  6. Having iOS & OSX compatibility a bonus. Be good if can also be used with iPad via Lightning connection.
  7. Very importantly, proven rock solid reliability when using with MacBook Pro

I think Apogee Duet would do it but almost $1k here in Australia. I don't think Apogee One can do what is needed.

Last edited:
Hi there
1: Most 2 channel interfaces will have this.
2: This is less common but you can buy cheap headphone amps or maybe get away with a splitter.
3: This is achieved with DAW routing but you'll need 2 additional line outputs, assuming you you want to keep the mains+cans free.
4: Firewire is compatible with thunderbolt. You just need the right cable.
5: I think anything should communicate directly. We had a guy last week who had issues with a 6i6 and its software, but I think it was more to it.
6: Whatever recommendations you get, make certain the manufacturer supports 10.12.
Even if you aren't on 10.12, that shows commitment from them. Some drag their heels. Mackie, for example, support up to 10.8. I'd avoid.
Google it to exhaustion too. Gearstlutz and Apple support forums would be good places for real user experiences.

The only close recommendation I can give, from experience, is the Presonus Firestudio Mobile.
It's firewire, has two mic/instrument inputs, it only has one built-in headphone output, but it has 6 line outputs (headphone amp and PA mix?).
It has its own software but it doesn't get in the way of anything. IIRC, it controls whether the headphone mirrors mains or not,
but once that's set you just close it and forget it.

Hope that's useful to you.

PS My main interface is Motu 828mk2 FW and I'm yet to have an issue.
I don't know if they have a model which fits your needs, though.

The Steinberg UR824 looks a likely candidate? All the I/O specified including 2 headphone outs with independent control. Mac 10.11, £600 ish here.

Tascam US-16X08 has it all except a second HP out* £250.

Focusrite 18i20 has the spec with 2 cans outs and the mac drivers. £350.

All are of course USB 2.0 but then remember FW is all but gone except for TB adaptors? You cannot nip round and work with a mate on his PC!

*N.B. Many AIs have limited gain in their HP amps and whist they might deliver deafening levels at -3dBFS, at neg 18 they can be too quiet in some circumstance. Budget for a modest cans amp anyway.

Dave.

Meant to say (cannot edit) I wish NI would remove the digit and make a say, 8 in 8 out interface of the same BSH spec as the KA6!

Dave.

...... All are of course USB 2.0 but then remember FW is all but gone except for TB adaptors? You cannot nip round and work with a mate on his PC?.....

Thanks for the replies. So you think stay away from FireWire AIs and stick with USB? Will be used with iMac but may as well leave the PC option as a possibility.

I think there are some TB interfaces out there, I assume you could never use these with PC regardless of conversion cable used. It also seems you won't find many 2 input AIs that can be used with both iOS & OSX. Be good if they did exist. I use an Apogee Jam on iOS & OSX, I wonder if larger units out there have this capabiliy?

Firewire is the solid choice for solo use and requirements.
If PC compatibility is a concern then yeah, sure, go USB but it will cost quite a bit to buy a breakout, as far as I know.

I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't use a thunderbolt interface with a PC, although the manufacturers specs and driver listings would be the best place to confirm that.
There's no conversion option that I'm aware of, though. You'd have to have a PC with a thunderbolt port.

Same deal as firewire, really. If immediate plug and play capability across a range of machines is a concern, USB is always the safest option.

+1 to headphone amp.
Even a simple cheap headphone amp will open up your interface market considerably.

Last edited:
Update..
Actually, it looks like USB-C (TB) to 4xUSB3 breakouts are available for about $20.
Much more accessible than I first thought!

Thanks for looking into that.

With regard to headphone amp, will this open my AI options as it would allow two people to listen via headphones and each have volume control, all via an AI with 1x headphone out? Based on replies in this thread I am guessing a simple splitter would not do the job.

Back