An interesting approach to eliminating PC sound...

i had a friend that put his hole computer in the wall, but that cd rom looks good like that. his pc was loud as hell, he put some b-quiet in the case, and some sound surpression spray. before he put the computer in the wallyou couln't even hear it boot up.

The items sold by quietpc.com are also very popular.

I'm currently building a computer containing a lot of their parts - when I'm done, I'm going to post a short review for the homerec'ers.

those products seem nice, but they aren't gonna do the jop that b-quiet or dynamat would. i have some extra vblok quite-kote spary i might put some on my case.
when i get my desk made i might build my pc into... that would look nice.

Cool site, Queue.
Four fans in my box keep everything from melting, but the noise is killing me!

It's in German, but you'll get the idea from the pictures

Not that anybody cares, but it's Swedish, not German.
You know, Sweden, a little country in Scandinavia...You know, up north in Europe...You know, that big mass of land on the other side of the Atlantic....Aaaah nevermind...;)

Queue said:
So I was surfing about and found this place. It's in German, but you'll get the idea from the pictures:
Queue

... actually, it's in Swedish or Norwegian ... and why am I telling you something as irrelevant as that ? think I just needed to make a post
:D bizz

Anyone tried wrapping there pc in egg cartons? Neither have I but I bet it would cut a lot of noise out.

-drew

egg cartons would do nothing.

To stop the sound all you would have to do is seal up all the cracks and holes in the case. But then it would over heat and thats not good.

The best way is to seal it into a large box and run a duct into and out from the box and have the duct's intake and output in another room with fans.

I think they do make some sort of sound proof vents which could work aswell.

Swedish... German... It's all Greek to me!!! :eek:

Sorry if I offended anyone, got the bad info from the site where I found the link...

Queue

Hey kids,

If you are thinking about buying anything from quietpc.com consider using zalmantech.com instead, no need to pay shipping from the UK.

Thanks Incense...
I was hoping there was an equivalent on this side of the pond...

Queue

I am actually new to digital home recordng, I have experience with a Tascam portastudio, and then a Tascam 8 Track with a mackie board, Im starting to get more into electronic music and am planning to put tgether my own digial studio; I want to start by building a dedicated comp, which is something that I know how to do well. I looked at quiet PC and for their hard drive case most hard drives are going to be too hot for it anyway. any thing over three platter wll melt in one of those. I think you will get more space for your cash and quiet with the new Maxtor DiamondMax D740X with the fluid beaing motor . Which isn't as great as the 28 dB/A that silent drive claims, but then again that is only a claim. I could use some help designing this computer from people who have some experience and know what is most important. With the hard drive should I go SCSI or even RAID; is it that important? How important is FPU, I am tempted to go with a CPU that dosent give off soo much heat but then there would be perfomance loss in the FPU, I would like to use a 1.4 Athlon TBird but that would be very hot, I suppose I could go with a water cooled case, that would also knock out some noise issues as well, but that would be expensive. Any thoughts?

I'm glad to see that there are more lunatic Swedes besides me. I'm have been planning on doing exactly this but was worried about the limit of IDE cables. I was told that 12" was the limit but apparently, they sell 31" cables as well. Nice.

ola,
I think the limit you heard was for ATA66 (hard drives), and it may be conservative.

Incense...,
What kind of track count are you looking for, and how much FX do you see using plugins for (vs outboard gear). The answers to those 2 questions have direct bearing on what hard drive throughput you'd need, and how much CPU power you'd need.

Queue

I wan't to be able to do it all, which would mean I would want to be able to record anything from a live drumkit to a turntable and anything else in between. Right now I am thinking I would want to be able to record 8 tracks at once. I do have quite a bit of outboard gear, but would really like to use the computer to its full potetntial wich would mean lots of plugins.

IP,
There are many cards that can handle 8 track simultaneous recording. Most PCs you'd get could easily handle that too. Be certain to check compatability issues BEFORE you buy anything. Make sure the MOBO chipset, soundcard and OS are all compatible.

Queue

Back