Intel 2500k or 2600k? (calling all fellow nerds!)

OOZMAN

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an advantage you get from an i7 2600k over the i5 2500k (my current chip). At 2ms ASIO delay and 35+ tracks running all with effects, my 2500k is working hard. Wondering if HyperThreading actually does anything? If I do upgrade it will be to an Ivy Bridge i7, but I'd still like to know about the 2600k because Ivy Bridge is said to be not a whole lot of a performance boost.

Thanks guys. Happy recording!

I just rescently built an i7 2600k daw rig and have not had the chance to put it through the paces. My other rig was an AMD 965 Black Edition (Quad Core) and I never had a session (mix) that caused an issue with running out of cpu. But with you running at 2ms and 35+ tracks is pretty damn good with Cubase. You can always change your latency to gain performance. I can run my DAW's down that low with no issues, but my default setting is 6ms and that gives me lag free performance. But I need to, for shits and giggles, see what it takes to break my rigs back. I use Tracktion 3 and ProTools 10 as my DAW's. I will make a point to try it this weekend. What plugins do you use mostly ?

Back