installing a second drive and more RAM

dobro

I'm getting a second hard drive dedicated to audio. Let's see if I've got this right - the OS and all programs including the audio tracker/editor reside on the boot drive, and the second, larger drive is reserved for audio file storage? Is that right?

Second question: I'm getting more RAM. What's the difference between EDORAM (which my system has) and SDRAM?

Yes, correct.

EDO is the older type of memory, it is 72pin (most likely, they do make 168pin EDO but it's unlikely what you have). It's about twice the price of the common, 168pin SDRAM. If you got some spec list with your computer you should be able to determine what it is. Better yet, open the machine up and have look. You will need to see what/whether slots are open to know what your upgrade options are.

Hey, thanks. Soon I will have, as drstawl puts it, some real estate on this machine.

Here are a couple pictures so you know what your looking for: Scroll down to the very bottom, those are the 2 most common memory types.

http://www.crucial.com/library/memorymodid.asp

Also, take note of how many slots you have open, if it is 72pin in your machine. They must be used in pairs, so if you want to go to 64MB you need 2 32MB SIMMS.

If I remember correctly, you have a packard bell correct? It may not be much more $$ to buy a new motherboard, and a cheapo ATX Case. The old memory is expensive and you probably won't have any use for it down the line. If you do go with the 72pin, see if you can find it used.

Hey, thanks again. Yup, I've got two slots for 72-pin stuff. And yeah, you're right - EDORAM's more than twice the price of SDRAM, and if as you say there's no future in it, then I'll get little or none of it if I can't find it secondhand, and settle for the time being for another hard drive to solve my present storage problems.

Back