Inputs/Outputs/Devices/Latency Help?

EastCoaster

Hello All- I'm getting started with recording using Reaper, and thought I would try to play around with just my built in soundcard at first while learning the basics.

I installed ASIO4ALL, then I went to the audio device preferences and selected ASIO for my audio system in Reaper. I was able to record and mix some basic tracks using a keyboard connected to the line-in jack on my sound card. Great!

Next, I tried a cheap plug 'n play guitar to USB cable. That installed itself, but the only way I can see it as a track input option in Reaper is if I go into Preferences and change my audio system to DirectSound (input is the guitar cable, output is my soundcard). Then the guitar cable works, but (unlike with using the keyboard via ASIO audio system) the latency / delay between the guitar and what I hear is so bad that it's impossible to use.

-Is this latency problem due to the USB guitar input, the sound output, or both?

-Is it possible to, say, somehow select my guitar input but then output the sounds via ASIO? Reaper doesn't seem to allow me to do this because I can only pick one audio system at a time.

-Would spending money on a real audio interface somehow solve this problem? How?

Thanks for any help... I'm confused!

YES get a real interface. That's the real way to solve the problem.
+1 Agree

ASIO4ALL is a workaround that simulates ASIO drivers. You don't really gain much if any in performance. When you get an Interface, make sure it has ASIO drivers. They are written at the machine/OS level and will improve your performance. Couple of hundred buck or, I used the M-Audio PCI card for less than $100 bucks. I use a mackie mixer, I get great performance and decent sound (much better than sound card). Either way, make sure it has ASIO drivers to make sure it performs.

How can anyone actually use these simple guitar to USB cables if the latency is so bad? Use a really fast computer?

I've been looking at something like the PreSonus AudioBox USB. I'm a little confused about how you handle the sound output when you have an audio interface like this. I believe you don't use the PC internal sound, but instead use the headphone jack or line out on the audio interface while you're recording a new track live over existing track playback. Unfortunately, I don't have any speakers, etc. that accept 1/4" line output like on the PreSonus. Is there an adapter or some way I can output the interface to my existing home stereo system?

It's possible to split the guitar signal and mute what you're recording, so one path goes to the computer and another path goes to an amp for live monitoring.
I'm not suggesting or recommending that : Just answering your question.
An interface is the real answer.

You're correct in saying that an interface completely replaces your sound card.
If your home stereo has stereo line inputs then you'll be able to buy the correct cable or use adapters.
There's a good chance you'll need a pair of TS to phono cables, but look for yourself to be sure.
If you're not sure post the model number of the hifi amplifier.

How can anyone actually use these simple guitar to USB cables if the latency is so bad? Use a really fast computer?

I've been looking at something like the PreSonus AudioBox USB. I'm a little confused about how you handle the sound output when you have an audio interface like this. I believe you don't use the PC internal sound, but instead use the headphone jack or line out on the audio interface while you're recording a new track live over existing track playback. Unfortunately, I don't have any speakers, etc. that accept 1/4" line output like on the PreSonus. Is there an adapter or some way I can output the interface to my existing home stereo system?

Sound will route in and out through the interface, you will hook up a pair of powered monitors to the interface output or you can route it through a stereo while you are searching for monitors. The interfaces aren't by themselves powerful enough to drive passive speakers, that is why most people use powered monitors.

If your home stereo has stereo line inputs then you'll be able to buy the correct cable or use adapters.
There's a good chance you'll need a pair of TS to phono cables, but look for yourself to be sure.
If you're not sure post the model number of the hifi amplifier.

Yes, it's just a regular old non-digital home theater amp with a bunch of stereo RCA/phono inputs where I can connect things like a CD player, DVD, etc. I use it as my computer speakers by plugging a Radio Shack mini stereo headphone jack-to-RCA converter into the computer output, and then running RCA cables to the amplifier.

I guessed I would need some kind of converter, I just didn't know if it was even POSSIBLE to connect the output of an interface to that stereo system.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Yes, it's just a regular old non-digital home theater amp with a bunch of stereo RCA/phono inputs where I can connect things like a CD player, DVD, etc. I use it as my computer speakers by plugging a Radio Shack mini stereo headphone jack-to-RCA converter into the computer output, and then running RCA cables to the amplifier.

I guessed I would need some kind of converter, I just didn't know if it was even POSSIBLE to connect the output of an interface to that stereo system.

You won't need a converter. You'll need TS to phono cables. :)
It's all line-level analog audio.

With a few exceptions E.C. you can generally connect any AUDIO output to any other audio input.
The two major exceptions are speaker outputs on power amplifiers, only ever connect the correctly rated speakers to those. The other is a microphone input where other than mic levels will cause severe distortion and possibly damage.

All other "line" inputs and outputs tend to fall at or between two levels, the "pro" level of +4dBu or about a volt and -10dBV which is 0.316 volts. So long as the level or volume controls are not at either extreme the system should work fine.

Do pop over to the newbie section and read the stickies.

And just in case the message was not clear? A usb connection has NOTHING to do with good or bad latency. Mostly poor latency is caused by bad AI design with special blame attached to the drivers. You don't even need a particularly fast computer (now, because they have all caught up in the last 5 years or so!).

Dave.

As soon as your digitised audio signal goes through a computer there will be latency. The data goes through a buffer, hit's stop and go signs at various stages, waits to be written to disk and so on. The same happens on the way out. A fast computer and good drivers an reduce the latency but it's never a good way to work.

The only real solution is an interface that does all this in hardware before the audio is even digitised. Even relatively inexpensive interfaces have "direct hardware monitoring" and most have a knob that lets you mix between previously recorded signals (from the computer) and the new stuff from your mic or guitar.

Thanks.... This is helpful and I think some of the other guides will make more sense now. I noticed that some interfaces (like Tascam) even have regular RCA out plugs, so that might be a way to go to save on buying new cables.

You might want to look at that the other way.
RCA outputs means unbalanced which means susceptible to interference.

Now, OK, if you use your hifi with unbalanced inputs it doesn't make any difference, but if some day you buy monitors you might be glad that your interface has balanced TRS outputs available.

Something to think about.

+1 for Steenamaroo about using balanced where possible.

However, if you do go for RCA, make sure you read the spec and not just look at the picture. A lot of interfaces use RCA connectors for S/PDIF digital inputs and outputs, not what you'd want for now.

Back