Info on plug in recording

hosolof

Hi Guys
I've just joined and I'm looking for some advice. I used to have a Soundblaster X-fi system in my old desktop which I did all my recording on. SB0460 with a SB0250 front unit.
I was using Audacity and recording separate tracks for guitar and vocals because it only had one input.
Anyhow, desktop days seem to be a thing of the past for me, so I'm wondering about one of those plug in USB mic thingys.
I saw some in the store the other day, does anybody have experience using them?
Do they produce decent sound? Good brands/models to have a look at? Can you get them with jacks for guitar etc?
Just some general knowledge would be appreciated.
I'm basically just recording for myself and some friends so I don't want to spend a bunch on a setup if I'm not going to use it a lot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly at all there.
I've already got a proper shure mic, I'm looking for one of those USB interface boxes that you can plug in a guitar as well and record onto your computer.
Does anyone have recommendations for a decent entry level rig that I could look into?
Also do they come with software, or do I need to purchase that separately generally?

Both come with LE (limited edition) software. It's worth your time to do a couple googles on cubase and ableton live. You'll also want to weigh in that the Scarlett has Focusrite preamps, which imo are superior. Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha's in the UR22 are fine, but, again IMO, not as good.

Thanks guys I'll have a look into those, I remember fooling around with Cubase a little bit but that was a long time ago, I also recall finding it very complicated.
Is it worth it just for a beginner? Or would you recommend that for more advanced recording?

Thanks guys I'll have a look into those, I remember fooling around with Cubase a little bit but that was a long time ago, I also recall finding it very complicated.
Is it worth it just for a beginner? Or would you recommend that for more advanced recording?

It really only complicated if you don't have someone to walk you through the initial setup and get you on the right track. You would have that here. :)

Without reading through the whole thread, I'll answer this little question....

Is it worth it? Yes. Cubase and all the rest have their own unique feel, but they are all pretty much the same. They all require you to go through a learning curve. Once you get past the steep part, you can become pretty productive with the software. I suggest just diving in and get to know your software through experimentation. Do a cover song or something you don't have an real vested interest and wouldn't mind it sounding like crap. My whole first CD was like that. LOL. But use the software, run into a roadblock, figure it out, continue on, run into another roadblock, figure it out, etc... until you can get through a whole song. Then you pretty much learned how to use it.

Don't expect stellar results right away.

Ur22 comes with Cubase LE6 now I believe. Possibly AI6. Either way, very capable for deciding if you and the software play nice together.

Back