Inexpensive Mixing Plug-ins

BeniRose

Hey there friends. I'm looking to purchase some inexpensive plug-ins to bring my mixing forward a little bit. I'm currently using all in the box Logic plugins and I find them to be a little lacking. I just need simple stuff, Compressor, EQ, Reverb mainly. I'd like to keep cost under $99 a piece. Even a channel strip solution would be good I think.

Do you guys know of anything in this price range that will sound better than the stock Logic plugins? I was thinking of getting one of those old Liquid Mix units on ebay or something, but I've heard some people have problems with them. Also they're all convolution based and I might want something modeling or just simply algorithmic. What do you guys think?

From what small amount I know of Logic (not much) the stock Plugs aren't bad. However if you want to spend some small $...Stillwell audio, great compressors and a cool eq too. I am pretty sure they are Mac/logic compat. Yep Mac ok. Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound. What do you dind lacking in the Logoc stuff maybe I can be more helpful.

The instrument plugins are beyond fantastic, but the effect plugins are a little lacking for me. They sound thin and hollow to me, and colour the sound a bit in a bad way. Maybe that's just me though.

When you say effects plugins what do you mean? Time based, dynamics, eq? I do not know your experience level but given the state of todays plugs it's still about technique. With solid technique and a little knowlege the basics will certainly do. Now if you are reffering to 'all in one' type things such as the Waves JJP or Tony M "bass processor or vocal processor" those are a bit expensive but they are just preselected combinations of the three types mentioned above. Oh I alomost forgot, for reverb the Sir1 works prettty good and it might still be free. Sir2 is 300 US if I remember. Heck the reaper convolution works pretty well. I am always hunting for the "magic plugin" but so far (and always will) fall back to proper use of just the basics (and some creative routing). Nonetheless plugin shopping is fun. THere are lotsof free demos out there to try out if only for 2 weeeks. I hope this helps, keep us posted.

There are commercial artists who use nothing but the Logic plugs....
I would imagine there are, but they are probably masters of their craft and have been working with those plugs since the emagic days. I am willing to admit I may be lacking in some knowledge of how to best use the Logic plugins, which is why I'd like to check some other ones out.

Back