increasing asio time usage headroom?

Hi with plugins getting more and more heavy now adays i find my self pushing the asio time usage meter to the limit(spikes) pretty often, way before hitting cpu usage limit. This is only when using massive amounts of heavy vsts, and would like to know if possible to get more headroom. I have already increased my soundcard to slowest buffer1024/latency and helped a little but still hitting the limit very often. So what component(s) in the pc has most effect of asio time usage?

thnks

pc specs:
i7 990x, win7 64 bit(32bit plugins jbridged), 24gb ram

Last edited:
If you're at the highest buffer setting, that's pretty much as good as it gets.

You could try optimizing your PC for audio:

Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7 .: Focusrite Answerbase

Just looking at your specs, you should have NO problem with cpu spikes or plugin load.

One question, why are you using so many VST's? Maybe you should revise your workflow and route out what's actually not needed. Maybe you're over processing.

Let me put something into perspective. I make a living out of audio. I have been running my own studio for the last 7 years and have done many, many albums, TV shows and films. I have had to deal with projects of a hundred tracks or more and for about five years I used a PC running XP, a Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz processor and four gigs of RAM. I never had processor problems and the CPU indicator very rarely made it past 50%. This includes using many VST plugins and often many VSTi's. So, given that you have a top spec computer at the moment, it makes me wonder what you are doing that you are exhausting all of your system resources.

Then again, there could be a fault somewhere or maybe there are too many background services running. It could also be a virus. Are you running internet on your audio computer? Do you run games on it too? These could be big factors.

It's essential to keep your audio computer minimalist as far as applications go and the registry clean along with the amount of processes running. It makes a big difference so maybe check that out.

I did some searching and found a post on the Cubase forum about the same problem. Was that you? You've got the Sonic Core Scope, right? Now I am really baffled as to how you're exhausting system resources at the highest buffer setting on both your high spec computer and the Scope's DSP.

Best of luck.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sorry, it just dawned on me that the culprit might be your 32-bit jbridged plugins. AFAIK, the bridging process adds an extra layer of processing and that might be taxing your processor more than usual. Obviously here the only remedy is to install the 64-bit versions, if they exist.

Cheers :)

Back