Impulse Responses: Guitar Pickups??

ColdToTheTouch

I havent searched the web for this, because I wanted to ask on here... Has anybody tried to make IR's relating to guitar pickups? I think this would be a killer idea...maybe im stupid and this is ridiculous.. haha. always thinking...

Hmmm.
I'm thinking with a reverb impulse you record in a dry room so the impulse is in place of an any audible natural reverb,
and with a cab impulse you're using the impulse instead of a real cab.

Any pickup response would have to be applied after the effects of your own real pickup, so what'd be the point?

That said, I never used impulses so what do I know. :)
Do microphone impulses exist? That's kinda the same thing...

It's not any sillier really than any other use of IR. I suppose it's pretty much what things like the Roland VG system and Line6 Variax are doing. It would be a bit tough to do in a DIY sense I would think for a couple reasons.

1) What do you use for an impulse? How do you induce a sine sweep or broadband impulse magnetically into the pickup coil? You can't just blast EM radiation at a humbucker pickup because that's the kind of thing that they're designed to cancel out. I suppose maybe some version of the "screwdriver pulloff test"??? Or, you could just wire the coil in series with some low-Z audio source, but that has it's own issues...

2) In order to get anywhere near "modeling" the sound of pickup's filter action, the source to which you are applying the IR would have to be significantly broader in frequency response than the pickup itself. That's sort of why Roland uses those extremely low-Z, low-L, low-C tiny coils, and Line6 uses piezos.

3) Even then, you're only "modeling" the filter action of the pickup, not getting any of the effects of pickup placement. This is not the same thing. The big boys seem to have figured out a way to accomplish this by grabbing all of the harmonics possible (by placing the pickups near or at the bridge), and then doing something to extrapolate from there, but IDK how. It would definitely require something beyond the basic IR, and must be more complex than a simple filter.

Hmmm.
I'm thinking with a reverb impulse you record in a dry room so the impulse is in place of an any audible natural reverb,
and with a cab impulse you're using the impulse instead of a real cab.

Any pickup response would have to be applied after the effects of your own real pickup, so what'd be the point?

That said, I never used impulses so what do I know. :)
Do microphone impulses exist? That's kinda the same thing...
Anteres Mic Modeler "undoes" the effect of the mic you used (if it's in the list of available models) and then applies the response of the chosen mic. I'd imagine you could do the same thing with pickemups, but it'll only go so far, really.

Another thing I left out above is that the filter action with passive pickups is not just the pickups. It's very sensitive to everything between the pickup and the first active stage - V and T's on the guitar, cable capacitance, and in-Z of that first active stage all impact the response you get out of the thing. Not really a huge issue, but it definitely makes for a very long file name/description on the IR.

We're also throwing in RedShift Overdrive, a new concept applied to the much-loved RedShift pickup replacement software. You still have the ability to model a large number of widely-used pickups and materials, but we've added in a whole new overdrive element to the plugin. This is more complex than just a simple overdrive though, and the best way we can describe it is that it's like replacing your pickup electronics with some sort of tube amp! OK, so it's hard to explain, try it out and let your ears decide!

look for the Canadian metal post here Download Bundle - Free VST Plugins, virtual effects - Page 4 download links still active :)

Back