Important: If you use a Fast Track Ultra or Fast Track Ultra 8R read this!

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
Last year, m-Audio, the manufacturer of the Fast Track Ultra and Fast Track Ultra 8R, sold off its semi-pro and pro line to Avid. In August of this year, Avid released new drivers for the FTU and the FTU8R for both Windows and Mac. I don't use Mac, so I can't say the following applies to the Mac version of the drivers.

The new drivers offer a different graphic interface, but no real change to functionality. However, they are also BUGGY to point of being non-functional in some contexts. Specifically, the ASIO implementation is extremely unreliable when used with, at least, Reaper, Sonar and Audition versions 3.0 and CS6. It can cause BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) system crashes, the DAW may not "see" the interface when used in ASIO mode, and, worst of all, it may introduce crackles, static and other distortion into the audio output (this distortion does not appear to be recorded and is heard only when tracks are played).

I discovered this this past weekend during a two-day recording session on location. Rather stupidly, I updated the FTU driver the day before the sessions (if it ain't broke, don't fix it before an important session). I experienced all of the problems described above multiple times with Audition 3.0, Audition CS6, and Sonar X2. I eventually worked out a kludge, which required NOT using ASIO for recording and was able to complete the recordings.

Last night, I spent some time on Google and discovered that I was far from alone in experiencing these problems. In addition to Sonar issues, I found reports of the identical problems with Reaper. There did not seem to be problems with ProTools and Cubase, though I will not say that for certain.

This morning, I removed the new Avid driver and re-installed the last release of the m-Audio driver and everything is working fine again. I believe these drivers are as follows:

Fast Track Ultra: 6.0.8.77158
Fast Track Ultra 8R: 6.0.10.77145

Let me know if you can't find these and I'll post them on my website for download (I only have Windows 7 64-bit versions).

In the interim, I would NOT recommend installing AVID's version of the drivers for these device. Avid has not yet acknowledged that a problem even exists, though it is clear to me, both from personal experience and numerous reports in other forums, that it does. I wasn't looking to see if it affects Mac, or other m-Audio USB-based audio interfaces which Avid acquired -- I recommend you do your own research before installing either Mac-based Avid drivers or Windows drivers for any other m-Audio device.

If you've already installed the Avid drivers (in Windows -- sorry Mac, guy, I don't know your machines at all), this is how to remove them:

In Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
Find the m-Audio Fast Track Ultra entry.
Right click and select uninstall.
Answer yes to any questions.
After the uninstall routine ends, Windows will report that it has found new hardware (the FTU or FTU8R) and, after a few minutes, Windows will indicate the driver installation failed.
Re-boot the computer.
Install the older m-Audio driver.
You're good to go.

Just want to say thankyou for sharing your experience with fast track r8. I had a lot of trouble, trying to solve issues with the newest driver. I installed the one you recommended and it seems to work fine now. What a relief.

fast track ultra 8r drivers printscreen.jpg

Hello Ptravel, okay?

I'm having the problem reported by you in this post!
I'm in Brazil and here is much more difficult to get support to solve this problem!
I would like to know if you have any more information about this sound card drives and also to confirm the driver version that solve your problem, since the version mentioned in your post is still available from Avid.

Here is a picture attached showing two versions, one for the M-auido site and another at the Avid site!

Thanks for listening,

Paulo Reis
(07/24/2014)

"last year"? Avid and mAudio have been owned by the same company since at least 2007 (I know because I applied for a job there (which I did not get. :( )) Although, they could have transferred the project.

Anyway, if you're messing with your drivers, you should have an old version of the driver on the install cd that came bundled with your hardware (assuming you bought new)
And, it turns out that avid has a couple versions of the drivers available on their site. (Always try to download from the official source first!)

Help me to find the right drivers

hi, I read the posts and I would like to install the correct driver form my m audio fast track ultra, but I can't got it. Could anyone help me with a link or something like that to find the drivers?
Thanks a lot.

Back