IMPORTANT Advice on Macbook Pro RAM --- Unsupported RAM ???

R

rimisrandma

If you look at purchasing a new 15" or 17" Macbook Pro, you can choose the standard 4 GB of RAM or you can upgrade up to 8 GB of RAM.

Now.......If you go to Crucial and look up a ram upgrade you can get the 4 and 8 GB of RAM kits AND you can even get a 16 GB kit.

I was saying WTF, so I went back to Apple and sure enough, there is a little bit of info that again states that there is support for UP TO 8 GB of RAM, but NOT 16 GB.

So, I called Crucial and they said that there engineering department said it was perfectly fine. If you look at other RAM upgrade kits on other websites besides Crucial, most of them have a 16 GB upgrade kit available EVEN THOUGH APPLE SAYS IT DOES NOT PROVIDE "SUPPORT" TECHNICALLY for RAM above 8 GB.

What is some input on this? I would like to buy a 4 GB 15" laptop, which I would save $200 dollars by not having 8 GB installed and then use that money to get a 16 GB upgrade kit and do the RAM installation myself (RAM upgrade looks like just removing the back, pop a few clips, remove and reinstall new ram, and just put the back on and your done). Is it advisable to put 16 GB in if Apple does not support it? Is Crucial trustworthy in making this call that it is OK to go with 16GB or should they be able to ascertain that it can be done in the first place??

Yes, a RAM upgrade is that easy.

If you can get the specific model number of the laptop's motherboard, you'll be able to research how much RAM it supports.

If you're buying the laptop and opening it up anyway, I'd recommend seeing how many RAM slots there are and comparing that to the number of sticks that Crucial would give you. If there are only two slots, and Crucial's kit uses 4, then it obviously only supports 8 GB!

Back