iMac : 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 vs 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

id go with the cheaper option but if moneys no issue then get the i7. ultimately they will both seem about the same for recording purposes. i've got the lowest rated i5 but overclocked it to 3.6ghz, they are extremely good value for money. although once again im a pc guy so i dunno if any of this affects the mac

I've not noticed any difference with a multi core processor. Speed seems to be thing. I looked at faster single core processors versus slower multi core processors before getting my new Aspire, nowhere near the league you're looking at. But the same advice. Unless you're looking at multi tasking (recording multiple tracks is one task it seems) multi core processors offer little to no advantage. From what I've read multi tasking would be running numerous programs at once. I could be wrong.

I've not noticed any difference with a multi core processor. Speed seems to be thing. I looked at faster single core processors versus slower multi core processors before getting my new Aspire, nowhere near the league you're looking at. But the same advice. Unless you're looking at multi tasking (recording multiple tracks is one task it seems) multi core processors offer little to no advantage. From what I've read multi tasking would be running numerous programs at once. I could be wrong.

i don't believe i'll be multi-tasking....unless you regard running(for example) Logic, Omnisphere, Massive, Reason, Guitar Rig, Trilian, RMX all at once ??

Not sure there mate, I'd wiki it, no shit.

Why wiki? They aint trying to sell you anything. Wiki multitasking, you'll get the real low down there, at least a decent overview.

Unless you're running DAW software from 1996, anything you're running today is going to be written to take advantage of multi-core processors and hyperthreading.

Don't underestimate the ability of plugins to tie up a processor core. More cores is better with recording.

Unless you're a gamer, you really don't need to worry about clock speed in this day and age.

Also, more memory is better.

It's also extremely tricky upgrading hard drives on iMacs, so you better start thinking about external hard drives now if you're set on an iMac.

What kind of interface are you planning to use?

Also, more memory is better.

It's also extremely tricky upgrading hard drives on iMacs, so you better start thinking about external hard drives now if you're set on an iMac.

What kind of interface are you planning to use?

Hi guitar man. I will have 8GB of RAM on my iMac.
I have an external hard drive already and will probably invest in a new one.
I use an apogee duet with my macbook pro, and will use that also with the new iMac.

Back