Im upgrading my No-name made in Taiwan $29 sound card

Khompewtur

*Retired*
And I have been researching a few choices but would appreciate some advice or recommendations.

It will be primarily for recording vocals and various guitars. Synth drums as a possible point of expansion. I find it unlikely I'll see a need for more than 2 simultaneous inputs in the immediate future.

Currently, I don't have a pre-amp.

So far I have looked at:

CHOICE #1

Aardvark DirectPro 24/96 PC Studio Interface w/ Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 $500

It's my understanding I will get the pre-amp and be able to treat the gui interface as if it were "traditional" outboard components

CHOICE #2

Behringer MX802 Mixer, Delta 66 Digital Card, AT 3525 Mic, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 w/Cabling $900

Here im assuming the cards are comprable in quality but Im paying more for the behringer being a "physical" board + the mic + Cakewalk, which may be acceptable.

CHOICE #3

MAudio Omni Studio w/Delta 66 Audio Card $389

Slightly less expensive but I'm wondering if the "outboard" will leave something to be desired vs. the Behringer MX802 or the "Aardvark virtual". No cakewalk either.

Basically Im looking for quality within maybe the $1000 range. If it's inexpensive and still considered a great component fine but if it's going to leave something to be desired, I'd rather wait & save.

those are all good bundles you made up. might i add the staudio c-port $399 as the same if not better recording quality as the cards listed. it also had pre amps. the behringer mixer you can get off ebay at a great price($30-70)

C-port $399(comes with logic)
Mixer $34-70
mic.. $190-$220
rode nt-1 --- Audio-Technica AT3035---akg 2000-----studio projects c-1

My opinion (based on reading, not hearing), is that the Aardvark 24/96 is the best option for a preamp/soundcard combo. But, because the w2k drivers are reportedly pretty bad and because I use a dual processor machine; I decided to go with a stand alone soundcard (lynxone) and a standalone preamp (80% sure it will be the Joe Meek SC3Q).

I'll let you know how it works out for me.

-Drew

i have a partner that records with a aardvark 24/96 with a rode nt1000. he also has a mackie mixer, his recordings don't sound bad comming off his genelec monitors, but its nothing special.

how many I/O do you need?

i think one of the best sounding pre amps on a sound card is the digi001, even though some people have problems with it.

Wait for the Delta 1010lt more io, 2 preamps around the same price as the omni. It should be out soon if not now.

Back