I'll try this again!!!!!

Steve Tittle

Maybe just repeated dumbass attacks but I haven't got this thread started!

What is everyone using for cd burning speeds? I am burning at 8X and having problems with popping on the cd's themselves. Is it a problem with the cd's themselves or the speed that I am burning?

Yikes!!!

I would use 4X for CD's that would be used just for taking a listen to. But if it is the finale CD that may be going to a duplication facility, I would burn at 2X.

8X speed is too fast for the laser to do an effective burn (scuttlebutt has it), and the burner itself is more apt to produce errors from vibrations, plus, your computer system may not be able to deliver that kind of throughput at the rigourous standards that are needed for a Red Book Standard CD, which never turns the lazer off.

Audio on a CD is a little different then data. With data, error correction can make up for a burn that is not quite so good. But with audio, some error correction always happens, but too much of it starts mucking up the audio, and if it is too severe, you will start hearing digital drop out's (the pop and clicks you are hearing).

Burn finales at 2x, all others at 4x. You will probably never have any pucks go bad on you that way.

Ed

addition

I would add to Ed's reply that you should use the media recomended by your burner, it could make a difference.
Also not all burning softwares are created equal. Some will give you more trouble then others when it comes to reliability.

Back