IDE being shared--cd-r drive playing games

peter miller

MY ide is being shared with both hard-drive and cd-r drive .the other has the burner on it .is this normal.
Also sometimes my cdr drive has trouble reading data cds(audio seems ok) it stops at starts rapidly you can hear it.and it sometimes sounds like the cd is being slapped around in side the cdr drive.

I went to unzip some programs I burned onto cd and it wouldn't .as far as I can remember it said "can't read zip header file" or something along those lines. I tried it in the burner and it unzipped them no worrys.

cdr is A-open 48x..

A-Open CD's are notorious for problems. Sounds like it's defective to me. If it's under warranty, get it replaced ASAP, preferably with a Panasonic/Plextor/Samsung/ASUS/Kenwood/Mitsumi

I'd probably have the burner as the master with the CD as the slave on the second IDE. It shouldn't matter that much though.

thanks emeric

It is under warranty and now all I have to do is try and talk the computer man into letting me have another brand.
My burner is an A-open also and you know what I have already had it replaced!!
I sure do hope its ok now for good.
My motherboard is an a-open as well AX6bc Pro with intel 440bx chip set.
on boot up I see --dmi pool data boot from adapti cdrom -boot disk not avaliable.I think it says that I'll wright it down next time.
It doesn't seem to be doing anything though.I just havn't noticed it before.:eek:

The message at boot up is not related to it's current problem( I think it's probably just looking for a bootable CD-ROM), I suspect it's mechanical. Some of the Acer mainboards are quite good, so I wouldn't be too concerned there. As for your CD-Burner... cross your fingers.. :)

Back