I want to expand my existing system.

privera4

I would like to spend $2,000 more on my existing system, I have a P3 667, 512 MB, 40GB DRive,SB Live Platinum 5.1, Cubase Vst, Acid 3, Soundforge Studio XP,Planett and a MPC 2000, Creating music it does it well. I'm a little confuse on choosing more gear, Im thinking about Adat LX20, Some type of mixer for the Adat, MPC, and planet phatt. Can someone help me decide how to choose a better soundcard better then SB Live 5.1, What would be a good replacement ( Digi001, MoTU, or Midiman)?? I would like to use the Adat for vocals only. I wanna get a nice warm feel for my vocals, i have mics, im not satisfied with the vocal quality. Can you recommend a Mixer, A Recording Interface, Mic, and sometype of pre amp for mic, the main thing is that my vocals must be super, Can someone suggest if im going overboard or should stick with my current system?.

If it were me (and I have been there), I'd go with an upgraded soundcard. There are a million options out there, I'm going with the Delta 1010 ($599). Then you can upgrade your mixer to something nice like a Soundcraft or something. It really depends on what your future plans and goals.

Someone will probably tell you that I'm leading you down the wrong path and they might be right depending on their point of view. I like and use Cubase. I feel comfortable working in it, but that is me. Some people like the ADATs, and rightfully so...they sound great.

So I guess I'd ask you: what is your ultimate goal with your studio. Formulate a plan and then we'll have a better idea where to put your money.

From what I have heard...I think I have heard. The ADAT will not give you any more warmth for your vocals because it is digital. It is recording onto digital tape
You can find the Delta 1010 for $500.

what will you be recording with the soundcard besides vocals?.....

(forget the ADAT....as mentioned, it will not warm your vocals)

Beside vocals i will be

I want to use my Mpc and Planett, to do some hip hop grooves, and hopefully record some good vocals. i want my audio to sound very good, the programs i use alot is Acid 3 and cubase, I want to add another mixer, i have Berhinger 1604 and was wondering to replace it with the 2642. my pc does great production, i just want to have a pro sound, i have $2,000 to spend, if i could reslove this problem and save some cash, im all for it. My long term goal is to start charging by the hour, i just want the consumer to leave out my place satisfy.

There are so many ways to go, and its hard to say. I think you should probably concentrate on a decent condensor mic, a decent preamp, a good sound card, and maybe some monitors (I don't know what you're using right now). Since you aren't planning on miking up a full drum kit, you can save some cash by getting a card with fewer I/Os (ins and outs). Echo and M-Audio make great cards and fairly cheap.

There are a ton of great options for fairly inexpensive condenser mics out there. The Audio Technica AT 4050 comes to mind. A lot of people are talking great things about the Studio Projects C1, but go listen to mics and be critical. There is a great post about how to audition a mic on this site. Do a search for it.

If you want to upgrade your mixer (which is smart), you might want to look into something made by Soundcraft. They put great sounding preamps in their boards. But there are a lot of choices here too.

Lastly, you want to look at what monitors you mix on. Event makes an awesome line of speakers. Again, there are many choices here and before you buy anything you should audition them like you would a musician or singer. Go to a store and let your ears decide.

As a side note, do a search of this site for any info you need. There have been something on the order of 150,000 posts here or something, and often they are packed full of invaluable information. Don't be afraid to ask us questions. Tell us what you get and keep in touch.

Would this work

Would a AT 3035 Condenser Mic and a Art preamp, Edirol MA-100 Monitors,Delta 10/10 or Motu 2408 and Spirt mixer do the job for the existing system? Is the Roland Studio Package any good which includes the VM-3100 Mixer do the job?

In the right hands just about anything could sound right.

What you might want to do is go to the MP3 Mixing forum and listen to other people's tunes and when you find someone whose stuff consistently sounds good to you, ask them what their setup is.

To answer your question more fully, any one of the options you mentioned will sound good, but to find the right solution for your needs you should go listen at your dealer. Someone might disagree with me on this one, but I'd prefer the AT 4033 for a little more cash. Also, there is a great discussion going on about preamps that you might want to look at. At the top of the page click on "new posts" and check it out.

I think you are on the right track though. I wish someone else would chime in, because there are so many differing opinions on this stuff its nice to get a lot of input.

Back