I Want The Best...

Taffer

I want the best of the best in a DAW for composing musical scores, I want high quality vst instruments packaged with the DAW (Piano, Strings, Various Percussion, Synths, Unique sound effects, etc). I want an industry standard compositional DAW and I don't give the slightest **** what it costs or what the learning curve is, I have no interest in live performance of compositions, no use for a "session" or "performance" view. What do I want?

Update: I want to add one condition. I am looking for an all-in-one solution for DAW and Instruments, but only if that solution can match the quality of hand picked vst's. If an all in one solution can't match the quality then I am also open to going with something like Reaper, provided Reaper is every bit as competent as something like Cubase in areas besides built in Vst's. If Reaper+Top Notch Vst's is a better all-around solution than something like Cubase Pro, then so be it, I'd go through the hassle of hand picking my instruments.

Last edited:
Cubase is your answer.

Actually.. maybe Steiny's new thing: Dorico-
What is Dorico | Steinberg

I haven't used it.. but there is a 30-day trial.

Alright, let's compare Cubase vs a somewhat All In One combo like Reaper+Komplete Ultimate. Does Cubase really check all of the boxes for an All In One solution? Or does it just check the industry standard box? What does Cubase do that make's it more refined than Reaper?

Define the boxes you want checked.

You should just try Reaper. It's good, and might get you what you want.
It has a notation system since last year.

I don't use it, so I can't speak to it's ease of use.
Cubase has been using notation for ages, so I would just assume it's more robust....but maybe it isn't?

You should totally compare the two. Get back to us on what you decide!

I do some mild composition in Sonar using some smaller symphonic VST packages and it's fine. I don't know that the DAW is really the critical element here, I'd think you get the same behavior from whatever modern DAW, it's really the ease in which the VST allows you to make adjustments. So IMO the plugins would be the place to focus, and whatever DAW gets the job done with providing a stable link between the plugin and your hardware.

Back