I think its time for a new soundcard

jiffy999

I can't get nothing to work with this sound blaster card. Can I get some suggestion on a new sound card? No more than $150

If you can't get the SB to work, what makes you think you'll be able to get any other card to work?

Agree, AlChuck. Jiffy, don't fall into the geargasm trap that claims so many other home recordists. If you can't get anything to sound good on your Sound Blaster, you won't get anything to sound good with any other card.

I'm still using an AWE64Gold. And it took me a good year and a half-ish (I joined this forum about the time that I switched to hard drive recording) of home recording before I began to discover its limitations. I'm still not convinced that I would hear a difference if I switched to a "prosumer" card.

Let the buyer beware. Most problems with the sound in a home recording can be traced back to the person twiddling the knobs. It's harsh, but it's the harsh truth.

be more specific about "cant get nothing to work"....if you are just unhappy with the quality, the Delta Audiophile 2496 may be your answer...but if it is just actually getting it to work, let us know your problems...get it working...exhaust its possibilities...then move on.....

jiffy999 said:
I can't get nothing to work with this sound blaster card. Can I get some suggestion on a new sound card? No more than $150

hmm don't know why I said this but I'm not pleased with the way it performs

Those are two different issues. "Better" soundcards are generally more difficult to set up. A soundblaster card should be plug-n-play and if that doesn't work on your computer, chances are pretty darn slim that a "better" soundcard will.

Please tell us what's wrong with your current setup or we won't be able to suggest solutions.

Oh, it seems that your second post cam when I was writing my reply. Now it's time to start discussing requirements...

How many inputs and outputs do you need?
Do you need MIDI?
Do you need mic pres or just line in?
Are balances I/O a must
etc.

Well I'm a newbie on this recording stuff but I'm good with computers and seting hardware up. Midi I don't really need and I only like dealing with one track at a time so several inputs isnt a concern either. I'd just like a good card that records good quilty from my guitar and keyboard. I'd be willing to give more than $150 if its woth it.

Ola, it really doesn't sound like he's ready for that yet.

Jiffy999, do you have any kind of mixer or preamp? I would highly, HIGHLY recommnd that you become proficient in recording with the hardware/software you already have. Buy a mic if you don't have one at least the level of an SM-57, buy a preamp if you don't have one, and that's it.

Trust me. If you buy gear, expecting it to make your sound for you, you are in for a HARSH awakening. Recording gear is a case of diminishing returns. An extra $200 might get you an extra 1% of recording quality. If you aren't getting good sounds from your Sound Blaster, more than likely it's your mic, your preamp, your software, or you just need more practice with your recording.

It takes years. So sit back, record your tunes, and have fun.

When will you be ready for a new sound card? When you can get a very good to great sound with your Sound Blaster, and you're able to say exactly what about it is inferior to better cards, and why you need to upgrade.

hmm don't know why I said this but I'm not pleased with the way it performs

and

I can get the soundblaster to work I was just looking for something better

don't count.

This may sound harsh, but I'm trying to save you money that doesn't need to be spent. If you save your money and work on building your skill instead, you will be glad you did.

ok good tips.

I can get a good quality sound out of my sb but I'm having trouble with the noise level. I made a post on this issues before but nothing worked. I have my keyboard going to line in but it redlines the moniters when I play. The only thing I can think of is that the signal is really high. The keyboard had no rca outs so I spliced the speaker wires and twisted some rca cables to them and this is how I hook it up to my sound card.
Would that be a problem

Erm, I'm not much of an electrician. :)

Are you using your keyboard's headphone out, then? The headphone out is amplified, so if you have the volume on the keyboard turned up, it's going to distort quite a bit.

Have you tried turning the volume on the keyboard almost all the way down?

I used the wire running to the keyboard speakers.

With the volume all the way down on the keyboard it still redlines.

Back