I think that I'm going to need a lot of help.

gpaaib

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums and will be seeking all of the help I can get. Medical issues pulled me away from music for quite a few years. As a matter of fact, the last time I ever recorded was on a Tascam during the cassette tape days.

So anyway here is where I stand:

I just ordered an iMac with Logic Pro X installed in it. I also have a Roland FA-06 for sounds and as a controller. And of course I have speakers.

For now all the demo work I do will just be recorded with the Roland. I will also be running a mic for vocals. Other than that, no live instruments.

My question is: With what I have mentioned above, what else will I need to bring it all together?

Thanks so much for your help.

Gary

Talk about your goals, music, instruments, recording space, etc.

It's not simple to just give someone a gear list without knowing some more details.

Also....is that it, is that ALL you have or are you just giving your basic items?
IOW...there could be a lot of different options/items for you to add, but they would depend on the above details. :)

Thanks for replying.

My immediate plans are to record scratch tracks and maybe demos. I will have my set up in a small room. 99% of the recording will be from the workstation into the Mac/Logic, so acoustics shouldn't play a big factor I wouldn't think.

My concern is if there is any other piece of equipment I may need or can I simply run the workstation via USB? And there is small areas of the music where vocals are involved, but I'm more concerned about getting it recorded as opposed to polished if that makes sense.

Thanks.

If you want to record vocals you are going to need an Audio Interface. Get one with MIDI in/out and you should be all set.

Last edited:
My current fave-rave is the Note Toucher BTH1, which is a device that patches your feelings into a MIDI track. So if you are primarily a singer or your main instrument isn't keyboards, you can still achieve live sounding keyboard parts that sound like a virtuoso played them (rather than the sloppy effect that humanizing produces).

You are going to need enclosed headphones to record vocals, so that you don't get your guide track spilling into the mic.

Last edited:
What question are you asking?

And why have you bought a mixer? Or did you already have it? Does the USB feed from it have per channel output or just stereo?

Most would use something better than an SM58 to record vocals, but it depends upon what you're doing...

Back