I/O Hardware/A/D interface, Recording/editing software

The Motu was on my short list but I went with the Digi001 for the protools system. I still might pick up the motu. It's got lotsa gozinta's and gozouta's. Are you running a Mac?

I have a mackie 1402,and a top of the line pc. I need to know what would be the best I/O hardware, recording/edit sofware,
I am looking at Layla, Mona, and Darla packages that include hardware and software, in musicians friend catalog.
I am wanting to record at least 4 and as many 8 channels at once.The mackie output max is 4... 2 monitor , 2 main.
What is the best bang for the buck?

[This message has been edited by gidman (edited 07-04-2000).]

The Mackie will serve you well as a front end. All the cards you mentioned are very good. I have a Gina running one one of my PCs and I very satisfied. For 8 inputs I have a Mac with ProTools Digi 001 and I'm diggin that too. Now I don't have any personal experience with the Gadgetlabs stuff but I've read a lot of good things about their 8/24 unit at about $500.

gidman,

The Darla24 only has two inputs, so it sounds like that would rule it out for your needs. The Mona has 4 universal inputs with preamps on each, which if you have the Mackie as a front end are probably unnecessary. That would leave the Layla24 as the best option from the Echo line. (Is it shipping yet? Last I looked it still wasn't).

A very similar device is the Delta 1010 from M Audio. It also has a rackmount i/o box with the A/D converters in the box rather than on the card, and 8 balanced analog i/o plus a pair of digital i/o channels (only S/PDIF, I think, whereas the Layla24 has S/PDIF and ADAT optical).

-AlChuck

Hey Track Rat How are ya! Can you tell me more about your MAC system ? Was there any hesitation between digi 001 and the MOTU 2408. Do they compare ? I haven't had any experience with either one but I'm looking. And pray we don't git a woopin' fir talkin' MAC around hear! :rolleyes: ;)
THANX, T.

Thanks for the reply Al ...
Do they have a website?

T.J., we'll only whoop ya when you go bashin' PCs :). In all seriousness though, I'd steer clear of the Borg (DigiDesign). What they make is doubtlessly good but, as Track Rat will probably attest, you will be locked into their "One Company, One Solution" philosophy. I've never heard a bad word about the MOTU stuff and you will be free of the shackles of a proprieary system.

TRACK RAT: Yah, I'm running a mac but nothing new or real big. A power PC (PCI) atleast. With Cakewalks Metro 4. A very limited system I think for now. A friend of mine has a windows system that we did some stuff on, but I decided to stick with my Mac I had the CPU and was recording on a four track cassette at home. Then I saw the Metro on sale for like 100 bucks and said what the hell. I mainly use it for the audio, 64 tracks, but only two at a time (That Sucks!). But it's a hell of alot cleaner for demos and ideas. Alot faster than a little cassette ministudio too. I've got my eye on that MOTU 2408 system. But I'm still on a tight budget for another month or so. I'm still building and mainly learning alot from all of you guys.
PGLEWIS: Thanks for the rock solid advice. Like "Track Rat" said earlier the MOTU has alot of ins and outs, also you can keep adding to these things can't you ?

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 07-04-2000).]

The card in the MOTU system can support 3 different break-out boxes. You can mix and match based on your needs. I think that's quite cool. If I end up outgrowing my 8/24, MOTU will probably be my next stop unless something else hits the market in the interim.

Right now I believe the Motu is the big gun as long as you have soft ware to record into. The stuff that comes bundled with it only works on Mac and not PC. I want the Motu not only for the inputs but the word clock. And of course, it's expandable.

Thanks for all the input...
Here is what I have found...
For a pc with amd athelon processors...
Wave pro / wave824 is probably the best bang for the buck @ $499 !!!!
8 ins and out (2 xlr 6 phono each on I/O) A Pre amp or Mixing board MUST be used.
Most any windows 95/98/NT compatable software will do
for recording/editing....
I have chosen the Cakewalk Audio Pro 9.0 for ease of use,popularity, and price...
I haven't ordered yet...
All comments/advise are welcome !!!!
: D

Back