I need a reliable interface can anyone suggest one ??

jpb123

Hi,

I have a m-audio fast track ultra and since moving to my laptop it has been very unstable. Whenever I rewind Cubase or start to clean up tracks the screen just goes blue !!

I have contacted avid and in all honesty it has been a nightmare. I think there are only 2 people who work there and none are technical !!

It's still under warranty but they still want me to buy a support ticket so.....I've decided to give up on it !!

Can anyone recommend an interface that is reliable and if needed has technical support from human beings ??

I'm not after spending a fortune and the sound quality from the fast track ultra has been acceptable. I'm not after a massive upgrade here just something that works and sounds ok.

Can anyone help ??

I have a windows 7 core I3 second generation laptop and use Cubase 5

Thanks in advance

John

How many input tracks do you need? I would actually forget about support for any device. Just get one that works so you don't need the support. Product support seems non existent these days. Sad. :(

Two interfaces that I have owned and never had any issue with are the Tascam US1800 and Steinberg UR824. Not sure if these are more than you are looking for, but that is really all I can personally confirm that are flawless in heavy use.

I feel for you and your issues. It is just really hard to say what exactly the issue is. It could be something as simple as a faulty driver or device that has nothing to do with your interface. I had a issue a while back that ended up being a stupid $30 KVR switch I was using to share a computer monitor with two computers. About $500 later buying a new interface (not the problem) and giving my recording PC to a tech for service, found the issue was that stupid switch. Getting rid of that and buying a separate $80 video monitor would have solved the issue....

Best of luck man!

Oh, and by the way make sure to check that you have updated drivers for everything. Even a driver update for your video card could be needed. Try everything before throwing money at a problem.

Roland duo capture is a great, smaller version of the octocapture that I use. If you want a clean and quiet pre and don't want to pay for a bunch of extra pre's, I'd recommend the duo capture or something presonus. Never had any issues with either company's products. Some guys around my area also are flocking to line 6 PODs. I personally hate line 6 and their zingy whatzits n' their flyin machines :cursing:

Thanks Guy's as always superb.

Jimmy's69 I will check all my drivers and see if there's a problem with them or anything else I've got connected to the laptop.

In all honesty it's a shame the fast track ultra is having these problems as , it's really a great interface When it works !

The input / output setup is great and it seems to have everything that I could ever want.

This afternoon I've had a little surf around whilst at work and the market is flooded with interfaces but none with the same spec as the ultra.

I've found tons of 4 mic pre units ( even though I only need 2 mic pre's ) but not many with 2 stereo line in's and if they've got 2 stereo line in''s as well as decent mic pre's there's no inserts or dsp effects or dual headphone's etc etc.

I will try jimmy's advice before I finally give up. If I do give up however I think I'll try the Steinberg UR44 that's due out shortly or the presonus audiobox 44vsl which both seem to get good reviews and have the ability to track with compression ( Software ) if needed , although I hardly ever do that these days.

Once again thanks everyone. I hope to be able to answer a question someday instead of keep asking them .........

John

Oh and wtfuhz , I would really love the Octacapture as it it's really highly regarded and being a keyboard player love roland's products.

I think I may save up and go for a ur824/ ur44 or octacapture in the new year.

In anyone's opinion would I notice a huge sound quality increase with either of these ??

John

Late to the party as always but I can only endorse Jimmy69's advice to do some checking before spending money. You probably already have this link but M Audio driver downloads are HERE.

I mention this because, although we can discuss things like quality and customer support, I've never found their drivers to be anything other than rock solid. It's worth making sure you won't have similar problems with a new interface.

Back