I need a new approach; Things ain't workin'.

Drone_21042

.....specifically, my interface. Totally green, I just started with a Tascam US2000 interface not more than 2 weeks ago. Already, I feel the need to do better.

Reasons why I don't like the US2000:

1. The pres. They sounded good initially, but now I'm stating to be underwhelmed. I started looking for some nice mic pres, but would rather just upgrade the interface to something with very high quality pres built in.

2. Clumsy. I know it's a short rackmount job as far as that goes, but I would prefer something smaller and higher in quality overall. Something "desktop friendly" that doesn't take up much space.

3. It isn't mobile. I'm starting to realize the benefit of a mobile interface. I don't have ideal acoustics in my home, but I can go where the acoustics ARE good and record there. This beats the expense of trying to turn my home into the ideal place to make a recording. I plan on recording other musicians. It's perhaps better to record them where they are than to arrange a trip back to my place (where the acoustics suck!).

4. Glitches with my Win7 64bit set up. I know I could probably improve this to some degree, but I have the latest Tascam driver and it still isn't perfect. I'd prefer to deal with a company that is well known for standing behind something if they say the word "compatible".

5. I'm not married to Cubase LE5, which was (I'm assuming) a good portion of the total price.

So my search for what might be the perfect interface for me was a short one:

The RME babyface. Ironically, all the reasons I don't like the Tascam are the selling points of the Babyface (btw- I only record 1 or 2 tracks at any given time).

...worth the extra coin (considering my position)?
...are the onboard pres really all that?
...RME as good a company/product as the internet would have you believe?
...solid Win7 64 compatibility?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Drone.

Back