I need MORE JUICE!

chessrock

Banned
Taking recommendations on beefing things up.

My clients are dying of old age waiting for files to load and save.

I'm dying of old age waiting for plugins to process.

And just this past weekend, my computer started skitzing out on me for trying to record 8 tracks at once. I can't have that happen.

I'm currently running on a Compaq Presario w/ AMD AthlonXP, 1.47 Ghz. around 700 or so MB SyncDRAM, and 160 GB hard drive.

I have four options. Let me know what you think:

* Get a better, souped-up setup and keep the old one around for office work. Please recommend system.

* Upgrade my current system -- please recommend upgrades. Would it help to maximize the current one for audio, etc?

* Buy another one just like the one I have, and use them in tandem. ie - Edit on one while I mix on the other. Cue the other one up to record the next song while the first one saves the first project, etc.

* Fuck the computer route all together. :D

Thanks!

Chess

Chess,
I would recommend building a new box.
Compaq's are not very upgradable anyways.
You need a current mobo and CPU.
I recommend an ASUS board with a P4 CPU
DDR Ram 1gig
Dual HD's of course.
A quality CDRW.

You can build a system as such for less than a G if you shop around a bit.
You could keep the Comsuck around for whatever, but if it were me, I'd sell it ! to earn some money for your newbuild;)

I'm seriously considering the standalone route. What are people using these days? The only one I've ever played with seriously is a Paris, and I loved it. Wish it wasn't discontinued. I refuse to go the digi route by the way. Just my own personal reasons so please let's not allow this to turn in to a pro tools war. :D

Thanks in advance.

Alesis HD24 is cheap as hell, and has 24 analog ins and outs, plus ADAT, very attractive. Mackie makes 2 different 24 tracks, HDR and SDR I think they are. And there's always RADAR. Problem is, once you go that route now you need hardware eqs, compressors, delays, choruses... if Ihad the money, I'd do it, because the shopping alone would be sheer joy... but I have about 1/1000th of the budget for that kind of endeavor.

charger said:
Alesis HD24 is cheap as hell, and has 24 analog ins and outs, plus ADAT, very attractive. Mackie makes 2 different 24 tracks, HDR and SDR I think they are. And there's always RADAR. Problem is, once you go that route now you need hardware eqs, compressors, delays, choruses... if Ihad the money, I'd do it, because the shopping alone would be sheer joy... but I have about 1/1000th of the budget for that kind of endeavor.
If Chess already knows the software route, he could always get a standalone and import to PC for editing.

Back