I`m sure this is obvious, but ...

ditnoj

Hey,

I am about to launch into computer based recording and am just about set on a MOTU 2408 and Logic Platinum, but I have just one question that seems to be so obvious (or me so blind) that I don't see it addressed on Cubase's or Logic´s sites...

How many tracks of simultaneous input can you do with Logic and Cubase?
Most of what I'll be doing may be track by track, but I'll be recording some "rondallas"(a group of guitar players that sing) and bands as well and I need the flexibility of at least 8 simultaneous recording tracks.

While I'm at it, how does this set up sound to you experienced 'puter cats (I've been on a stand alone HD recorder!)I'm going to have it built:

Pent III 700 Mhz
SB Live (do I need this with the MOTU?)
320 RAM
10 gig HD for the puter
10 gig removable HD for audio
Internal CD ROM/burner
17" monitor
MOTU 2408 (or will I be happier with the 1224?)
Logic Platinum
Behringer 24/8 mixer

Thanks!

D out ITNOJ

The number of potential tracks is typically not limited very much by the recording application (Cakewalk for example will support as many as 256 tracks) but by the computer and audio hardware, the bit depth and resolution of the recording (that is, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz or 24-bit, 96 kHz, etc.) and on how many plug-ins might be being used at a given time. If the system you describe is configured properly, you should have no trouble at all getting many more than eight tracks with a reasonable amount of plug-ins running...

Do you have any outboard MIDI gear? If not, the SB Live is a pretty good synth and sample player if you get some good Sound Fonts. Otherwise, you might or might not find it worth keeping.

-AlChuck

THanks AlChuck!

Even though you used a very scary phrase, "if it is configured properly" which is the biggest reason that I vacillate on getting into computer based recording anyway.
The majority of the posts I see deal with problems that boil down to "configuration".

NO comments from anyone on the MOTU 1224 vs the 2408?

D out ITNOJ

1224 vs 2408

Well, I know that they are both very good, so it depends on your budget, but it might help to know that the queen of New age music, ms Cianni, who has, I think either seven or eleven albums and has been nominated for grammys' is now recording a commercial project on a .....you guessed it. A motu 2408 with digital Performer.

Back