I know Nothing!! I need help understanding recording music! Recommendations!

everyonehas

So i have a really nice maton i want to record.
I have 2 rode nt5s.
I was gonna buy an mbox 3 but now im not so sure.

What i want to know is what do you guys recommend i use to record!

I am a noob and have no prior knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

So i have a really nice maton i want to record.
I have 2 rode nt5s.
I was gonna buy an mbox 3 but now im not so sure.

What i want to know is what do you guys recommend i use to record!

I am a noob and have no prior knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

Hey. I have a really nice Maton that I want to record too! I've recorded it with an SE2200a about a foot away, directly in front of where the neck meets the body - that sounded ok. I've recorded into an SM57 at the 12th fret, angled towards the body, about 6 inches from the neck - that also sounded ok.

The best recordings I've made of it are with a pair of SDC microphones (Oktava MK012-01) in XY formation, one pointed towards the soundhole and on pointed towards the neck. I'm still not happy with the recordings I've made of it, it doesn't sound nearly as good as it does in the room. The room itself is very important (good sound and treatment) and maybe eq will help, but I'm not so good at that yet!

So, maybe try your NT5s in XY (I bought a stereo mic bar that screws onto a standard boom mic stand) into an interface. The MBox3 looks quite expensive, so probably is of a decent quality (anyone else help here?). I use a Roland Quad Capture (around half the price of the MBox3) - I don't think the preamp or converter quality are the limiting factor in my recordings - I can record other stuff pretty well through this interface. Others to consider are Focusrite Scarlett/Saffire, MAudio FastTrack, Tascam US series - others may wade in with more suggestions.

Back