I have a question (probably a stupid one)

Phil02

I have a vortex AU8810 Sound blaster pro Emulation sound card, and a standard recording mic, and i am just wondering if i could just plug the mic into the soundcard with an adapter. I dont want to plug it into the designated mic in obviously, so what type of converters do i need if this is even possibel (Im not interested in high quality at the moment) If anyone knows what type of converters i need please tell me ASAP.
Thanks,
Phil

You should be able to plug the mike directly into the soundcard. You just need a cable adapter that attaches your mike plug (jack or XLR) to a stereo minijack.

cheers
john

John Sayers, what are you telling him? A "standard recording mic" straight into the soundcard's line in?

Slackmaster2K's got it... you need a mic preamp, and of course a cable from that to the soundcard's Line In. They start in the $50 range and go from there into the stratosphere.

John is right...you can plug a mic straight into the mic in of a soundcard...you may/more not be happy with the results but it can be done....of course this is for dynamics only as condensers will need phantom power.......

Im pretty sure he meant the mic in....thats where the soundcards preamp is and therefore the only place you can plug a mic straight in to....

Well dude, I'm pretty sure that...

"...I dont want to plug it into the designated mic in obviously..."

...means that he doesn't want to plug it into the mic port. Although he could have said that because it doesn't *fit* I suppose.

You can't plug a dynamic mic into the mic port of a soundcard and get anything usable. Not good quality, not fair quality, not poor quality, not bad quality....simply unusable quality. You might as well not record anything at all...or just use a little computer microphone.

Assuming that a "standard recording mic" is either a dynamic or condensor microphone, and not a computer electret, he needs a microphone preamp.

Slackmaster 2000

ok, lets bring Phil on and ask what he wants......

2 options are:

mic straight to mic in

mic into preamp into line in

cmon Phil help us out......

wanna hear quality?....

sm57 straight into the onboard soundcard of a Emachines computer mic input......

btw, the background noise is the wheels on the bus going round...really.....

Attachments

• wheelsonthebus.mp3
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
I agree whole heartedly Gidge. This is homerecording at its best. Recording miked up guitar amp stacks through a (dare I say it) soundblaster preamp can get amazing results. I can say this because I did....once.
Ive posted this before I know ( for those who have already heard it) But its a good example of the cheapest preamp on the planet. The guitar was a Ibanez iceman into marshal 50w superlead into 4 x 30w celestions (a great sounding marshall bass box thats as old as me, has Jims signature in pencil inside....whooo make a balsy guitar cab) then a sure 57 straight into the mic in on a soundblaster awe64. Yes straight in. And since now I use a Echo Mona ive still gone back (at least once) to get the same edgy sound that this produced? Freakn weird hu.

Cheap mic pre's force you to make best with what youve got. When this was all I had, all I could do was find good mic positions. I learnt so much about where to put the mic back then. Because I had too. Its good for newbies to use cheap gear at first. If I was given a pro studio up front I don't think I would have learnt as much.

Ok thanks

What I ment by i dont want to plug it into the mic in, is I alerady knew that It was crappy. Ill look into mic preamps, does anyone know any cheap ones with decent sound (in the $50-$100 if possible)
Thanks,
Phil

Al and Slack,

feel free to bitch slap me....

but my soundclip still rocks.....but is the quality
a)unusable
b)poor
c)fair
d)good
e)great
f)awesome...it even captured the sounds of the wheels on the bus turning.....

oh yeah, preamps....

Art Tube MP $89 (single channel)
Midiman Audio Buddy $79 (dual channel)

Maybe you should box up a few of those pres & sell em. They sound better than any soundblaster/ensoniq onboard pre I've used.

Slackmaster 2000

eTower 366id, 366is, 366i2, 400i2, 400ix, 400id, 400idx, 400i3, 433i, 466i, 466id, 466is, 466ix, 500is, 500ix, 500i, 500idx, 533i
Florida-TG/TGA Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem, Korea Intel Socket-370 (370pin PPGA Socket) for Intel Celeron CPUs Intel 440LX core and ITE8673 Super I/O controller ATI Rage Pro Turbo built-in AGP graphics accelerator with 4MB SGRAM Crystal CS4280/CS4281 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation

Crystal Sound chipset....

Back