I have an Apple iMac 27inch - time to think about interfaces, mics, programmes etc...

raggydoll

I've been checking this forum for a while and only recently registered cos I had an iMac on the way.

Anyway, I now have a 27inch iMac with the following spec:
2.66ghz i5
27 inch screen
1tb hard drive
4gb ram

I've spent months looking at audio interfaces, reading reviews but change my mind on a daily basis.
Thought I'd get some opinions.

I record everything myself, currently use a boss drum machine to get my drum sounds (left and right cables) so could get by with 2 inputs but I'd rather plan ahead and in case I end up getting an acoustic drumkit or a high end electronic kit I think I'd rather have an interface with 8 inputs. I could also keep it all plugged in and ready to go (eg vocal mic in inpput 1, bass guitar in 2, guitar in 3 etc etc), then just arm the appropriate track.

I've pretty much decided on a firewire interface as I'm led to believe they run faster.

Would something like the presonus firestudio be any good?

Basically I want something that will be reliable and good quality so don't mind spending more to get that.

Is it better to get a good quality interface with better preamps rathe than a middle of the road interface and buy seperate good quality preamps?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Once i figure out what interface to get I'll start thinking about which programme to use, which mics, synths etc etc.

Bye bye money!

Is it better to get a good quality interface with better preamps rathe than a middle of the road interface and buy seperate good quality preamps?

Usually people get mid-end interface for starter, like m-audio fastrack pro or others that cost around $200~300, and when they want an upgrade or need more channel to record, they go buy a pre-amps with more channels. Since they have to spend money for it, they go buy a good quality pre-amps and connect it to their previous interface. More channels and better sounds.....
So that's the purpose we buy a good pre-amps, we don't just buy them separately.....
If you got the budget, I suggest you just buy a high-end interface, cuz they got good pre-amps and lots of I/O, Focusrite makes good high-end interface and pre-amps, cost around $800~$1000.....
With this, you can get around 8 channels interface, all of them have pre-amps and 48v phantom power (sometimes cheaper interface got 4 channels, but only 2 of them have mic preamps or phantom power).
And when you need more than 8 channels, you can buy a good pre-amps separately, and connect it to your interface via optical cable (this is what high-end stuff use to connect each other, so they kinda work together), rather than connect it thru 1/4" TRS jack, like what I do with my pre and my interface.......this is not the optimal way to do it, cuz it makes my audio signal goes thru 2 pre-amps.....first into the pre, and then to my interface's pre.....
There's another way, buy a PCI type of interface, they are cheaper cuz they only work as a Analog-Digital converter, so you will need to connect it to a pre-amps.
But since you use iMac, you can't plug anything inside.....so, not an option for you

Back