I have $600 and want to Build a DAW

Evitucci

I have $600, I have a good Mic SM57 and a few others and A Fostex X-26 that can pass as a mixer. For now it will be just me recording guitar, bass and drum loops but I would like the system to be able to record demo's for a band. Oh yea I also have Cakewalk Pro 9.0.

I have been thinking about buy a Lexicon Core 2 sound card but its $200 which cuts in to the computer budget. I have also been thinking about the new soundBlaster and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. UI also want to get a Burner. Should I get a less expensive sound card so I can get more CPU horse power? Right now all I have is a very old 133 with 64Megs of ram and a SB 16 that makes a lot of Poping sounds.

Wear sould I start?

Thanks for your Help!

E

well a core 2 usually = problems. but people that can get it to work usually get a sound from it. they usually go for $140 new. you can go to ebay and maybe get one for $80. you only have a 133mhz computer? if so i'm amazed if you can even run cakewalk 9...

I have heard a few problems with the core 2 so I may go SB route or Turtle Beach. I don't know any others That will be around $100-$200.

As for the computer Cakewalk runs fine on the 133, but I only do 30 second loops and to jam with. I really don't think I can do much direct recording with it and the sound from the SB 16 sucks.

Thats why I am hoping to jump to an AMD at least 800 to 1000MHZ. That should be all I need for my system.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
E

You'll want or *require* at least the following:

Case & P/S (Athlon rated): $50
Processor (Athlon): $50
Motherboard: $120
Memory (256): $40
Hard drive (7200RPM 30GB+): $120
AGP Video: $30

That runs you right up to $410, without any shipping charges. If you get an SB Live, opt for the cheap value model. The sound of an SB Live will be better than your SB16, but it's still not that great. Save up for a better card.

Now there are some ok 24bit card options under 200 bucks. The m-Audio Audiophile is one, and the Echo Mia is another. I was able to get my Delta44 for $199 as well, but I'm not sure if they're still going at that price these days.

Finally, the X-26 is a pretty junky machine (I started with one myself); the preamps are shit and the unit in general is considerably noisy. Down the road you will want to consider a good preamp...but that's a discussion for another forum.

Slackmaster 2000

I have $600
You're going to have to spend a little more than that...

The great info Slackmaster gave you already puts you at $600.00.
You still need to get some monitors and the CD burner you wanted.

You are going to need some nice monitors. :) When you get the money check out the Event 20/20's (good bang for the buck).

peace and good luck... :)

spin

Athlon would be the way to go. The new Athlon XP's beat the P4's, and are a fraction of the cost.

EPOX EP-8KHA - about $60
Athon Xp 1500 - about $120
Cheap agp video card such as EVGA GEFORCE2 MX200 32MB - $43
sound card - most of the cost
case
ata/100 7200 RPM 40 Gig such as MAXTOR 6L040J2 DIAMONDMAX PLUS D740X 40GB HDD - $90
RAM - example: 4x Crucial Micron 128MB 16x64 PC2100 DDR RAM, 184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V - $72
case
RW such as LITE-ON LTR-12101B 12x10x32 CD-RW - $67
cd/dvd rom drive - $100
floppy drive - $10
any other things

that above is to give you rough estimate. The total above is $562, but you will need to spend more for a decent sound card, plus a case, heatsink etc.

~Milkman

I would avoid $60 Epox motherboards like the plague...but then I've been through a traumatic experience :) Spend $100+ on your motherboard. I would also opt for a Sony or Plextor CDRW. Save now & spend later, or vice versa.

Slackmaster 2000

have you thunk about the roland vs or korg family of music production systems? THey do everything you need for about that price.

I would second the comment about EpoX...I have one of their cheap mobos and have gone through hell getting my recordings to be noise-free. The two places that you cannot be cheap is mobo and sound card.

Man stuff is so cheap in the States. If you had said to me you had £400, equivalent more or less to $600, to pgrade your PC and buy an audio card I would have just laughed. Obvioulsy things are a lot cheaper. I will make a point of buy lots of stuff when I come over to live there in January!!

When you get here, buy several very large inexpensive suitcases and some good packing material. Then go on a gear buying spree.

Thanks for all the help guys, THe $600 is a starting point right now I am sure I will spend more down the road. I really want to get the Iwill board and at least an AMD 900

This is what I found

Iwill board -$109
CPU $60-100
Box $60
30 Gig HD 7200 $119
512 Ram $25

Thats about $415. I just got to get the thing together and find a sound card, but the Iwill board does have a 4 channel in built on the unit so that could work untill I can save a little more. Only thing the dicount computer store didn't have the board last night. I will keep you all posted.

E

Back