I got an external hard drive... now what?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
I just bought a Glyph GPT50 (or GTP50... whatever it's called.) because my flash storage in my computer is filling up with sound libraries.
I figured I'd use it as a project drive. Now I'm wondering though - should I make it my sample/sound library/my Native Instruments Komplete drive instead? Could I even do something like that?
I've always just assumed that having my plugins on the internal drive (especially if its a SSD) would be better/faster in the longer run.

Best setup for any daw:

OS, apps and plugins on boot drive
Sample libraries if you use them on a second separate drive
Project audio and tracks on a third separate drive.

You want the project tracks to stream smoothly with no interruption from other services and apps on the boot drive.
The samples can be on the boot as they are generally loaded all in ram anyway when loaded unless you are using multi-gigabyte libraries.
It's more important the tracks stream smooth.
Drives are too cheap right now not to have dedicated drives. 7200rpm drive are just fine, you don't need 10k or 15k drives or even ssd's

BTW: SSDs are not magic, they can still only do one thing at a time, just a bit faster.

I think at this point since I don't know what it'll take to route Komplete 9 Ultimate and all it's contents from the internal drive to the Glyph I might just turn it into a project drive until I can get things figured out then buy a second.
If that's even necessary... I mean does Komplete count as apps/plugins or do you think it's more of a sample library?

Ah...im sure you cant physically move kontakts libraries and just rescan them...theyre the big ones right??

Double check for maschine though if youre using it, but kontakts pretty straightforward

Can I move the KONTAKT 5 Factory Library after installation?

:'(
Dang. I've got so much stuff to move and rescan.

I guess I'll just keep things as they are now with all the stuff that's already installed.
Looks like I have a project drive though :D

Live 9 Suite is what really unexpectedly ate things up.
(Which I'll do that review of once Push comes in.

I'll say this now though: the "new" GUI is really nice, Audio to MIDI seems pretty exciting)

Yeah it does...especially for taking drums out of loops...but ive a slew of drum software and hardware at the moment, and melodyne for melody stuff...ill wait to hear what you and others think of push before i think about updating :)

You're a N.I. user, right? :D
How would I go about doing that if I've already got everything installed?

Read the instructions or help files. There is a preferences where you tell it where your libraries are.
Move them then point it at the new location. Easy.

Back