I accidentally dropped my MBox...

razork222

I accidentally knocked my MBox 1 off a shelf about 60cm (2 ft) high. Now when plug it in, the computer says that it can't recognise the device because it is faulty or damaged. I went on the Digidesign site and there is only 1 authorized Mbox repairer in Australia. I'm not sure how much it's going to cost to get it repaired, but I'm guessing it's a lot. On the other hand, I share a house with an electrical engineer; do you think it would be possible to fix it with his help? If anyone has been in a similar situation and can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate your input.
Oh yeah, the mic/instrument selector light is on, so it's not completely broken (i hope)

Last edited:
I don't think it would be bad for your room mate to look inside. Since "dropping" it is not covered under any sort of warranty, you'd have nothing to lose by looking under the hood. He'll know pretty quick if its something he can fix or not.

Otherwise, unless you wanna shell out for a new one, it'll still prob be cheaper to have it fixed.

Let him look at it, but electronics these days are all custom-built chips, multi-level circuit boards and no way to get circuit diagrams.

We're past the 'Mr. Fix-it' stage where Dad could put new tubes in the TV and into 'dixie-cup technology' where if its broken you throw it away and get a new one 'cause they're impossible to repair.

....bet next time you wont dangle your expensive boxes on a shelf tho....

Guys, thanks for your input. I had a little peak inside the Mbox and it certainly is more complex in there than what I imagined. I will show my electrician buddy and he will probably only be able to help if it' something thats obviously broken, like a solder or a loose wire. I'm going to try some troubleshooting tonight, like testing it with a new USB cable.

Tim, you are right I have learned an important lesson. When i get this sucker fixed I'm gaffing it to the desk.

Alan, I'm in brisbane QLD.

Thanks for your all your help guys and keep it coming. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Alan, I'm in brisbane QLD.

Well as I am in Fremantle you may as well be the other side of the world ha ha ha.

I just thought that if you were in WA I could put you in touch with some tech people that would not rip you off.

Good luck

Alan

Back