HUM problem , need advise please!

basemagia

Hello everybody,

I have a power mac G4 with a digi001. I use an apple cinema display. The problem I have is that there is this terrible hum whenever I turn on the display.

It is really weird, there is no noise at all if the monitor is turned off, but when i turn it on, the hum starts. I have disconnected it from the same AC source, and plugged into a totally different AC outlet (in other area) and the problem remains.

If I disconnect the cable from the digi001, obviusly the humming stops, but when the connector is close to the digi001, hums again, it doesn't even have to be fully connected.

I have changed every single cable, moved the monitor away from the speakers... nothing works.

Any suggestions really appreciated.

magia

Computer monitors generate a pretty strong electromagnetic field, this is probably inducing the hum in your cables which is why they don't even need to be connected. try getting properly shielded cables and maybe routing them differently. A lot of people have a similar problem with guitar pickups humming near computer monitors.

Last night, I tried a new mic position (over the shoulder pointing down at the guitar), but I had to scrap it because in that position, proximity to the monitor produced some noise. Nice sound on the guitar, but hum from the monitor field. I want a flat screen for Christmas... :D

I have 2 Samsung 15' flat screens (Sync master 570b tft) - These thing are noisy as hell!!!!! I finally figured out that if I turned the Brightness control almost all the way up it solved the problem!!!!!

Give it a shot.

Dear Santa

Please cancel the flat screen order. I'll have the Lucid converters after all...

genius!

Gargamel, you are the man!

I have changed every single cable in the system, I went to home depot and bought a ground tester and tested avery outlet in the studio, also moved the audio cables awat from the electrical cables.... nothing worked. I connected and disconnected every module to make sure they were not inducing noise....

after 4 days of looking for the needle in the hay stack, the brightness control made the trick.

thank you very much

magia

Back