How to sync audio with video when recording silently?

Chris1981

I‘m new to this forum, so hello everybody and thanks in advance for your help. I‘m used to record guitar tracks by micing my amp and additionally sync the sound with footage from my video-camera by simple clapping of my hands. It’s always been easy and precise this way. I‘m now planning on getting a cab-simulator/Loadbox like torpedo studio or maybe an universal audio ox for silent recording purposes. Now - how do I sync my video-footage in this case? I was thinking of some hard strumms with my pick so the camera may pick up the sound like it did when my amp made the sound, but unfortunately my camera is pretty far away due to the lens I use... Has anybody of you guys experience with this? Is there a better way I‘m missing?

Chris

Record the audio first, then play it back. Record the video while playing along with the playback.

If you need to record video in realtime, then do the heavy strums on the strings like you mentioned. The camera doesn't necessarily need to pick up the sound. You can sync the visual movement of the strumming with the recorded audio of the strumming. In the wave form of the audio, you'll see the spikes. Lines those up with the frames of your pick hitting the strings.

That's what I would do.

Record the audio first, then play it back. Record the video while playing along with the playback.

If you need to record video in realtime, then do the heavy strums on the strings like you mentioned. The camera doesn't necessarily need to pick up the sound. You can sync the visual movement of the strumming with the recorded audio of the strumming. In the wave form of the audio, you'll see the spikes. Lines those up with the frames of your pick hitting the strings.

That's what I would do.

Thanks Chili!
Oh boy - sometimes you don‘t see the obvious... of course, I don‘t necessarily need audio spikes on my video the way you mentioned it. I guess when you always do things the same way - you get caught in that scheme. I‘ll do as you suggested and go with syncing to the frames where I hit the strings. Most probably it‘ll work better for me than playing over my playback.

?

As Chili suggest, you can do the visual equivalent of a clap . . . a big hand movement or similar. Do the synching, the edit out the cue.

I'd just add a (any) mic in the room specifically to capture the sync of your hands clapping, or get/make a clapperboard. You could probably put a splitter on it and send it both to your DAW and camera.

Said for what Witz'?
All I have is a large, black rectangle. Is this IE11 and the HR SNAFU again?

Dave.

It was a video that now no longer works sorry

I'll try to fix it

Should be fixed

Oh and what do you mean by "Is this IE11 and the HR SNAFU again? "

It was a video that now no longer works sorry

I'll try to fix it

Should be fixed

Oh and what do you mean by "Is this IE11 and the HR SNAFU again? "

Right, well. Some things no longer work on HR with IE11 for me, e.g. Soundcloud although I have downloaded Soundcloud stuff from other forums, notably SoS.

I could, I suppose go for another browser but they all seem to have some foible/lack or other and if hardly pressed I can get things on W10 and Edge if I really need to.

A while ago I gave Chrome a shot because it was supposed to be faster? Then I found certain sites would not work. Probably fixed that now but quite honestly I am too old and too tired to G. a. F! If I can't get it I'll do without.

Dave.

Back