How to set up burner w/o slowing hard drive?

mikesong

I understand that combining a ATA-100 7200RPM hard drive on the same IDE controller as a CDRW burner slows the hard drive down to ATA-33. Is this a problem for people, performance-wise? I know the recommended config around here, for my setup, would probably be:

Primary Master: OS/Program Hard Drive
Primary Slave: CDRW
Secondary Master: Audio Hard Drive

Would this mess with the main hard-drive even when the burner is not in use? I've even been thinking of unplugging the burner when it's not in use, but is this overkill? Do you think it would affect the performance of stuff on that drive, the plugins, etc...or do these just depend on the cpu's speed (AMD 1.47 GHZ). I just want to set up my new system right, thanks for your help.

-Mike

That's a new one. I've never heard about that before. Have you actually benchmarked it and the burner slowed it down?

In either case, your audio HD on the secondary master is actually running on a second controller, so it's isolated and should not be affected at all by anything on the primary controller (unless there is something wrong with your burner/setup that is strangling your CPU).

Don't worry.

Assuming you have a relatively new burner, UDMA compatible that is, you should have no problem at all. This was only a problem when HDD's were UDMA and cd drives weren't. The only effect you'll have is that burning data from the primary drive will be a little slower than burning from the secondary drive. If your audio is on the secondary, no matter at all.

As far as I know, the only reason your (Primary Master) hard drive would slow down to ATA-33 would be if you were using a old-style IDE cable. If you are using one of the newer ATA-66+ cables (40 connector, 80 wire) there should be no problem with your hard drive slowing down.

Back