How to record "what you hear"?

Bartalmay

Hello, my first post here!

I have a question that has been bothering me for quite some time - here's the situation:

I'm using Presonus Studio one to create sort of experimental music - I have couple of prerecorded tracks that I'm triggering with mouse (as in, pressing play and stop) and then manipulating the sounds with couple of plugins (amplitude 3, various delays etc), also with mouse (as in, i'm "turning" the knobs on effects etc).

Since all is done in real-time and in improvised fashion, I want to record what I hear to separate stereo track. Windows use to have their default sound recorder that could do that (it was actually called "record what you hear". But I want to record to something more professional. I've tried to record/save automation, but what I'm doing is too erratic and spontaneous. Recording to separate stereo track withing Studio One produces nothing of course.

I'm not sure if my description is clear enough? Basically, how do I record the sounds I'm creating - can it be done in Studio One - like rerouting the 'live' sounds to stereo track? Do I have to have separate recorder?

Thanks for replies and please ask for more clarification if needed!

Cheers

Hi,
Set your audio track output to bus 1+2 then create a new track with the input set to bus1+2 and the output set to your main outs.
That ensures that any adjustments you make are going to get recorded down to the new track.

If you work with several tracks of audio you can either 'send' those to the same place, or you can set up several destination audio tracks and record each source track separately.

Either way, that should do what you're asking.

Arghhh, ofcourse, thanks so much! I haven't been fiddling with DAWs for quite a while and forgot about that...good lord *blushes*...
I will try that and report if all went well.
Thanks again!

Cool. Please do let us know how you get on.
There may or may not be latency to worry about.

If you kept your main outs as normal and used a send instead you wouldn't have to worry about latency, but then the send may or may not be post fader and effects..can't remember.
Something to think about.

Also, if you are using a presonus audiobox VSL and use the VSL software and have the audiobox VSL set as instructed, you will not hear any latency while tracking. It's a beautiful thing :-)

Back