How to record more than two tracks at once from my 4x4 audio interface?

T-Dub

I recently moved up from a 2x2 usb audio interface to this Behringer 4x4:

UMC404HD | Audio Interfaces | Computer Audio | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

I'm using a Windows 8.1 laptop with Reaper. I have a combination of 4 mics and lines going into the Behringer. I opened 4 recording tracks in Reaper but it's not seeing the 4 individual tracks coming from the Behringer. All 4 tracks from the Behringer are going to each of the recording tracks, so I've basically got 4 mono mixes.

How do I set up my PC so Reaper can see 4 individual incoming tracks? From what I've found so far it seems like it has something to do with changing my PC to ASIO in order to see more than two tracks simultaneously. Please help me to understand how to do this...and use small words! Thanks!

I From what I've found so far it seems like it has something to do with changing my PC to ASIO in order to see more than two tracks simultaneously.

In Reaper, go to Options/Preferences/Audio/Device

In Audio System, you should be able to select ASIO

In ASIO Driver, you should be able to select the UMC404

In Reaper, go to Options/Preferences/Audio/Device

In Audio System, you should be able to select ASIO

In ASIO Driver, you should be able to select the UMC404

And then you select all the inputs.

Then in your armed tracks, there should be an option to select which input to each track.

Appreciate the feedback! Yes it's 4 tracks of audio. I thought when I uploaded the Behringer driver I was getting an ASIO driver. Apparently not. Looks like my next step is to upload ASIO4ALL?

Hmm, I had heard good things about the two Behringer interfaces so far but if they fob you off with the "good answer in its day but past it" ASIO4all then shame on them!

I do understand the some of the smaller players in the AI field can't afford to have driver written for them but Behringer???

No matter how good the electronics if they won't supply good drivers they are doomed to failure IMHO I shall certainly not recommend the AI without point these facts out.

I had the first Berry interface, the BCA2000. The drivers started out crap and got little better. When it worked (never for long! ) the box was excellent value and very flexible, nothing has come close since for the money (the SPL Crimson is a similar unit but way more money and does not have ADAT which the BCA2K did). You would have thought they would have learned? Not so it would seem.

Dave.

Appreciate the feedback! Yes it's 4 tracks of audio. I thought when I uploaded the Behringer driver I was getting an ASIO driver. Apparently not. Looks like my next step is to upload ASIO4ALL?

What makes you think that the driver is not an ASIO driver?

A common installation process is to install the drivers first, then follow instructions before connecting the device. Indeed, the manual for the UC404 says this. You may experience problems if you do the reverse. Sometimes you need to uninstall everything and start over.

What makes you think that the driver is not an ASIO driver?

A common installation process is to install the drivers first, then follow instructions before connecting the device. Indeed, the manual for the UC404 says this. You may experience problems if you do the reverse. Sometimes you need to uninstall everything and start over.

I might be doing Behringer a misservice? This is part of the Readme with the driver...."1. REMOVE OLD DRIVER:
---------------------
-> FIRST uninstall an older UMC driver before installing a new one."

It then goes on to explain the procedure and it IS a bit of a process. No worse than many driver installations I have done (my printer takes a good while!) but a process none the less and it is important to do these things precisely to the Book.

Dave.

Back