How to permanently adjust the voice settings?

chaoshead

Ok, the title may sound very weird, but what im wondering on is if it's possible to have these settings added automatically for every recording i do, as well as when i do live streams: YouTube

I guess i cannot do that permanently in audacity, but any other programs that allows me to apply those settings permanently for my mic, perhaps? I would like to have that nice depth to my voice when im streaming etc., so i hope there are programs that allows me to do that.

thanks in advance for the help!

If you're recording in a DAW, they almost all would have the ability to create a preset for projects, i.e., with specific FX and settings applied to an empty track, ready for recording. You could use that and just route the output to your stream.

Or, get a mixer with aux send/return and use outboard (hardware) FX I suppose, but you did post in the Digital forum...

pardon for that. where should i have posted this thread?

DAW? that's the name of the software, or? I guess i will stick to a software, yes :)

And "templates" I bet?
I actually don't know about that, myself. It does have projects, but those include audio files, and not empty tracks with FX like I'm used in Logic. And, you can't obviously save anything except a project, i.e., no Project Template type in the Save As... dialog. (Which is the word I should have used instead of "presets" in my first reply.)

In Logic, I use project templates all the time, and those will have predefined tracks with specific FX, which may have custom presets as well. I am pretty sure this is in other DAWs, though maybe not Audacity.

I actually don't know about that, myself. It does have projects, but those include audio files, and not empty tracks with FX like I'm used in Logic. And, you can't obviously save anything except a project, i.e., no Project Template type in the Save As... dialog. (Which is the word I should have used instead of "presets" in my first reply.)

In Logic, I use project templates all the time, and those will have predefined tracks with specific FX, which may have custom presets as well. I am pretty sure this is in other DAWs, though maybe not Audacity.

Yeah, never really explored Audacity. Had it for years but once we had the magazine freebie of Sam SE8, never looked back.
I only fire it up these days for the benefit of noobs that use it as a free DAW (which it really ain't) but I usually try to steer them to Reaper or Sam Pro X Silver.

Dave.

Ok? So... which one should i use where i could add those "preferences" to be automatically added to my recordings/live stuff?

Ok? So... which one should i use where i could add those "preferences" to be automatically added to my recordings/live stuff?

I am not sure C' but I think peeps are telling you that Audacity is not really what you need? Sure, it will 'record' things and is a great editor but I think you have outgrown it.

There are free demos of all the major DAWs, download a few and give them a do. Start with MAGIX Samplitude IMHO!

Dave.

Audacity has "chains"; two or more plugins saved together, so you can use them in one go. That should do what you want.

Don't rely on Youtube. A lot of the tutorials for Audacity suck. Some are just fake.

I'm not impressed with this one eiher. I mean, + 6dB on high and low? And is he talking into a side address mic from the wrong end? Or is that an SDC in the wrong housing?

Audacity also has the Nyquist scripting language. Developed especially for audio. Throw together an oscillator in one line of code.

You should ask this on the Audacity forum. There are a lot of scripts available for special purposes, like ACX compliancy. And the mods are VERY knowledgeable and friendly, even if they have to deal with questions like "Help, can't hear myself" all the time.

Audacity has "chains"; two or more plugins saved together, so you can use them in one go. That should do what you want.

Don't rely on Youtube. A lot of the tutorials for Audacity suck. Some are just fake.

I'm not impressed with this one eiher. I mean, + 6dB on high and low? And is he talking into a side address mic from the wrong end? Or is that an SDC in the wrong housing?

Audacity also has the Nyquist scripting language. Developed especially for audio. Throw together an oscillator in one line of code.

You should ask this on the Audacity forum. There are a lot of scripts available for special purposes, like ACX compliancy. And the mods are VERY knowledgeable and friendly, even if they have to deal with questions like "Help, can't hear myself" all the time.

That 'Chains' feature is pretty slick. I had used it to batch convert a bunch of WAV files to mp3's using the 'script' shown below.......

Ok, so if im not supposed to use the free software in Audacity... which software should i go for that doesn't have too much of a steep learning curve, seeing that im pretty much a beginner at this, although i have been using audacity for some yers now.

And when you tell me to ask in Audacity forums, you mean at their official forum, hmm?

That 'Chains' feature is pretty slick. I had used it to batch convert a bunch of WAV files to mp3's using the 'script' shown below.......

What is this 'chain' feature? what does it do? I am trying to look for a preset, so i don't need to convert the clips manually each time (i will have a voiceover set of 100+ clips). will that feature do the trick for me, or?

With the chains function, you can "chain" several plugins together.
Fi:

You first apply gain, then eq, then compression. You do this once only, with 3 separate functions or plugins. Once you've done that, you save it as a chain. Next time, you apply the chain to the audio and it will apply all saved presets for every function/plugin with one command in one go. Especially useful if you need to treat a large number of files in the same manner.

And, yes, I mean the "official" forum, of course. This one:

Audacity Forum • Index page

There's some confusion with Audacity's links. That's because Sourceforge, their previous code host, decided to go into adware a couple of years ago. So the team had to move to other hosts in a hurry. Unfortunately, a lot of the old links still live on. When you google for Audacity features, you'll encounter more goofs than results. And a number of years ago, the old Audacity team stopped developing it. A new, dynamic team has taken over since, but the heritage of the previous developers still lingers on on the net.

But it's a great editor.

REAPER doesn't have those problems, because everything circles around one, well maintained forum.

REAPER's problem is that it can do anything. And it will do most things much better than any other DAW.

But for finding out how to do some of these things, you need to ask on the forum and wait for someone to point you to the right workflow. And sometimes, you are the first one to ask for this workflow, so you need to wait for one of the marvelous scripters to pick up and resolve your problem. It's fantastic, but you need basic audio knowledge, persistence and patience. It's a bit less suited for beginners.

The cry "Basic DAW" is a common one and so is the response..There ain't one! But,

Do look at Samplitude Pro X Silver. I know it seems familiar to me because I have been using it (but never very deeply, son was better with it) but it does seem more intuitive than Reaper, Cubase or Sonar all of which I have.

It is limited to 8 stereo tracks and (iirc) 4 plugins at a time but that should be plenty for a starter person. The cheapest version, Music Studio, about £50 is now much improved and uses the same 'engine' as the top range Samplitude Pro X3.

None of them are easy, you need a dedicated weekend to get even moderately handy.

Dave.

What is this 'chain' feature? what does it do? I am trying to look for a preset, so i don't need to convert the clips manually each time (i will have a voiceover set of 100+ clips). will that feature do the trick for me, or?

Ah! What you're looking for is some full-on scripting.

If you want to apply an identical FX chain to hundreds of clips without manually loading them all into your DAW and applying the effects, you're gonna have to learn to code.

e.g. If you know exactly what effects chain you want, this can pretty readily be done with SoX in bash.

So here are some potential solutions:

1. Chains in audacity - as others have described, you can create a chain of effects that can be applied in a few clicks. You will have to load each clip into audacity, apply the effects chain, and then export.

2. Track templates in a more full-featured DAW - e.g. in Reaper. If you create a track that contains all of your FX tuned to your liking, you can right-click > "Save as track template". Then for each file, you can right-click > "Add track from template" to quickly apply your FX chain to each file.

3. Convert your FX chain into a SoX fx chain (EQ, compression, and normalisation are all in the standard tools). Write a bash script that loads all of your audio files and runs them through that chain.

So here are some potential solutions:

1. Chains in audacity - as others have described, you can create a chain of effects that can be applied in a few clicks. You will have to load each clip into audacity, apply the effects chain, and then export.

Chains can be applied to multiple files in one go, without any scripting.

I would rather do it in SoX too, but that's no beginners solution at all, I reckon.

Sounds like you're saying Audacity will do it just fine, but since Reaper was mentioned I'll point out that Reaper has batch processing abilities, and they don't require any real scripting.

I also wanted to say that even if your DAW doesn't allow you to save project templates by that name, you can always use any saved project as a template. Open it up, do a Save As with your new project name, delete anything you don't want, and go.

Back