Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to permanently adjust the voice settings?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Audacity has "chains"; two or more plugins saved together, so you can use them in one go. That should do what you want.

Don't rely on Youtube. A lot of the tutorials for Audacity suck. Some are just fake.

I'm not impressed with this one eiher. I mean, + 6dB on high and low? And is he talking into a side address mic from the wrong end? Or is that an SDC in the wrong housing?

Audacity also has the Nyquist scripting language. Developed especially for audio. Throw together an oscillator in one line of code.

You should ask this on the Audacity forum. There are a lot of scripts available for special purposes, like ACX compliancy. And the mods are VERY knowledgeable and friendly, even if they have to deal with questions like "Help, can't hear myself" all the time.
    MB Pro, FF400, MKH816, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    Audacity has "chains"; two or more plugins saved together, so you can use them in one go. That should do what you want.

Don't rely on Youtube. A lot of the tutorials for Audacity suck. Some are just fake.

I'm not impressed with this one eiher. I mean, + 6dB on high and low? And is he talking into a side address mic from the wrong end? Or is that an SDC in the wrong housing?

Audacity also has the Nyquist scripting language. Developed especially for audio. Throw together an oscillator in one line of code.

You should ask this on the Audacity forum. There are a lot of scripts available for special purposes, like ACX compliancy. And the mods are VERY knowledgeable and friendly, even if they have to deal with questions like "Help, can't hear myself" all the time.
    That 'Chains' feature is pretty slick. I had used it to batch convert a bunch of WAV files to mp3's using the 'script' shown below.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Ok, so if im not supposed to use the free software in Audacity... which software should i go for that doesn't have too much of a steep learning curve, seeing that im pretty much a beginner at this, although i have been using audacity for some yers now.

And when you tell me to ask in Audacity forums, you mean at their official forum, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    That 'Chains' feature is pretty slick. I had used it to batch convert a bunch of WAV files to mp3's using the 'script' shown below.......
    What is this 'chain' feature? what does it do? I am trying to look for a preset, so i don't need to convert the clips manually each time (i will have a voiceover set of 100+ clips). will that feature do the trick for me, or?

Thanks
    With the chains function, you can "chain" several plugins together.
    Fi:

You first apply gain, then eq, then compression. You do this once only, with 3 separate functions or plugins. Once you've done that, you save it as a chain. Next time, you apply the chain to the audio and it will apply all saved presets for every function/plugin with one command in one go. Especially useful if you need to treat a large number of files in the same manner.

And, yes, I mean the "official" forum, of course. This one:

Audacity Forum • Index page

There's some confusion with Audacity's links. That's because Sourceforge, their previous code host, decided to go into adware a couple of years ago. So the team had to move to other hosts in a hurry. Unfortunately, a lot of the old links still live on. When you google for Audacity features, you'll encounter more goofs than results. And a number of years ago, the old Audacity team stopped developing it. A new, dynamic team has taken over since, but the heritage of the previous developers still lingers on on the net.

But it's a great editor.

REAPER doesn't have those problems, because everything circles around one, well maintained forum.

REAPER's problem is that it can do anything. And it will do most things much better than any other DAW.

But for finding out how to do some of these things, you need to ask on the forum and wait for someone to point you to the right workflow. And sometimes, you are the first one to ask for this workflow, so you need to wait for one of the marvelous scripters to pick up and resolve your problem. It's fantastic, but you need basic audio knowledge, persistence and patience. It's a bit less suited for beginners.
    MB Pro, FF400, MKH816, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    The cry "Basic DAW" is a common one and so is the response..There ain't one! But,

Do look at Samplitude Pro X Silver. I know it seems familiar to me because I have been using it (but never very deeply, son was better with it) but it does seem more intuitive than Reaper, Cubase or Sonar all of which I have.

It is limited to 8 stereo tracks and (iirc) 4 plugins at a time but that should be plenty for a starter person. The cheapest version, Music Studio, about 50 is now much improved and uses the same 'engine' as the top range Samplitude Pro X3.

None of them are easy, you need a dedicated weekend to get even moderately handy.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoshead View Post
    What is this 'chain' feature? what does it do? I am trying to look for a preset, so i don't need to convert the clips manually each time (i will have a voiceover set of 100+ clips). will that feature do the trick for me, or?
    Ah! What you're looking for is some full-on scripting.

If you want to apply an identical FX chain to hundreds of clips without manually loading them all into your DAW and applying the effects, you're gonna have to learn to code.

e.g. If you know exactly what effects chain you want, this can pretty readily be done with SoX in bash.

So here are some potential solutions:

1. Chains in audacity - as others have described, you can create a chain of effects that can be applied in a few clicks. You will have to load each clip into audacity, apply the effects chain, and then export.

2. Track templates in a more full-featured DAW - e.g. in Reaper. If you create a track that contains all of your FX tuned to your liking, you can right-click > "Save as track template". Then for each file, you can right-click > "Add track from template" to quickly apply your FX chain to each file.

3. Convert your FX chain into a SoX fx chain (EQ, compression, and normalisation are all in the standard tools). Write a bash script that loads all of your audio files and runs them through that chain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    So here are some potential solutions:

1. Chains in audacity - as others have described, you can create a chain of effects that can be applied in a few clicks. You will have to load each clip into audacity, apply the effects chain, and then export.
    Chains can be applied to multiple files in one go, without any scripting.

I would rather do it in SoX too, but that's no beginners solution at all, I reckon.

Thanks
    Sounds like you're saying Audacity will do it just fine, but since Reaper was mentioned I'll point out that Reaper has batch processing abilities, and they don't require any real scripting.

I also wanted to say that even if your DAW doesn't allow you to save project templates by that name, you can always use any saved project as a template. Open it up, do a Save As with your new project name, delete anything you don't want, and go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    I would rather do it in SoX too, but that's no beginners solution at all, I reckon.
    That's quitter talk!

Thread Information