how often does YOUR ram go bad?

shackrock

Well I've had 2 sticks now that I have gone bad...what are the odds of this? hahaha.

My power seems to be fine (Asus monitor utility).

-M-Audio Delta 44 Soundcard
-ASUS A7V333 KT333 MB W/ ATA133, USB 2.0, 5.1 AUDIO
-AMD Athlon® XP-2000+ Processor AS22
-60GB 7200 RPM UDMA 133 HD
-160GB 7200 RPM Samsung HD
-768MB PC2700 333MHZ DDR MEMORY
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
-AMD Certified ATX Medium Tower Case - 350 Watt

is that MB just crappy when it comes to burning out ram or something?

and when I say "gone bad" - i mean:
- freaquent BSOD's...which are NEVER happening when the bad stick is removed.
- games do not run smoothly.
- applications crash often.

*To see what stick(s) were bad I ran the microsoft memory diagnostic utility - and it found a ton of errors on the sticks that were bad. I replaced one stick about 6 months ago. and just replaced my other bad stick today.

I have never had memory go bad, and I have had nothing but good luck with ASUS mobo's (although I don't own that particular model).

However, I have always been strictly Intel. AMD's are know to run hot. Perhaps it is heat related?

Odd. You didn't mention what brand of RAM you were using in your rundown of system components.

According to ASUS you should only use the following RAM with this MOBO:

Note: * Use only the tested and qualified PC2700-DDR333 DIMMs listed below. Other DDR DIMM manufactured by other vendors may not be suitable for this motherboard.

Vendor Type Size Model
Nanya PC2700 256MB NT5DS16M8AT-6
Samsung PC2700 128MB K4H280838D-TCB3
Samsung PC2700 256MB K4H280838D-TCB3
Micron PC2700 128MB MT8VDDT1664AG-335B1
Micron PC2700 256MB MT16VDDT1664AG-335B1
KINGMAX PC2700 128MB MPMA82D-68KX3
KINGMAX PC2700 256MB MPM62D-68KX3

I have run into bad RAM before, but it's not common. Are you being careful when installing it to make sure you're properly grounded? Have you pulled and re-inserted the RAM? Sometimes it doesn't make good contact. Have you tried swapping the sticks to see if the problems occur regardless of the sticks placement?

Ted

If you got it at Fry's you are just asking for trouble. ;)

I use Corsair and that seems to work fine for me.

Sometimes you just have to spend money. If you bought the cheap stuff then you get what you pay for. Especially when it comes to computers.

All sticks are Kingston RAM, and they meet all the suggested and required things that it says in the motherboard manual.

but check this out:

First time RAM went bad:
Slot 1: 513MB (came with system) - 2 errors found after all 11 tests completed.
Slot 2: 256MB (had it for a month or so, circuit city) - no errors.

After replacing slot 1 with a new one from the company who made the system (cyberpowerpc.com), I was running the same config as above with no problems.

Then, I bought my new 512MB.
Slot 1: 512MB (stick from cyberpower.com)
Slot 2: 512MB (NEWEST stick, newegg.com)
Slot 3: 256MB (Circuit City)

I ran that for a week, until I started to notice so many crashes. About 44 or so errors on the Slot 2 stick, from newegg.com (brand new!).

Since then I've been running:
Slot 2: 256MB (Circuit City)

No problems.

Like I said, today I got back a new 512 stick from newegg.com (they replaced it). Here is what I tried, and the results:

Slot 2: 256MB (Circuit City)
Slot 3: 512MB (NEW FIXED stick, newegg.com)
started up computer, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.
ok, I'll try again. This time I logged onto my profile on XP, and THEN a BSOD.

After running memory diag, and only 4 of the 11 tests, 760 errors found on slot 2 - the "so far flawless" circuit city bought ram.

so I take that out, and then it was:
Slot 2: 512MB (NEW FIXED stick, newegg.com)

1 error found after 4 of the 11 tests on slot 2, again.

So I check the mobo booklet once more, and it says nothing about occupying the slots in order. And by now I am just guessing that slot 2 is messing up somehow.
So at this moment I'm running:
Slot 2: EMPTY
Slot 3: 512MB (NEW FIXED stick, newegg.com)

0 errors after 8 tests (I have no patience for all 11...ha!)...computer runs fine.
And in its box next to my computer is my 256MB of circuit city bought ram - which I'd like to get back in here working...but I know it wont work in slot 2....sooooooooooo..

any ideas? Can a slot just break like that? IS it dirty? how can i clean it? haha.

There might be a way to fix that, but I would just shell out for a new motherboard and ditch the hassels.

$100 to get rid of a big fucking headache? Worth every penny IMO.

---------

You had me feeling a bit uneasy there for a moment. I have had good success so far with newegg.com.

Where did you buy the mobo? How old is it? Any chance or exchanging it?

I've always had good luck with ASUS, but you never know. It could have a bad solder joint on it or the contacts could be messed up. These things happen.

At least you've isolated the problem.

If you can't replace the board under warranty, then I'm with Outlaws. Replace the mofo...errrr, I mean moBo! ;)

Ted

see if it's still under warranty, that sucks you went through all that with the diff ram. I've heard people say that you should have matching sticks, could it be that using two adjacent slots with varying ram may cause conflict? what if you use slot 2 alone any prob? just a shot in the dark.

Jase said:
see if it's still under warranty, that sucks you went through all that with the diff ram. I've heard people say that you should have matching sticks, could it be that using two adjacent slots with varying ram may cause conflict? what if you use slot 2 alone any prob? just a shot in the dark.

Well I know I don't need matching sticks, that is mainly a requirement with Rambus ram - additionally, the motherboard book says nothing about matching sticks in slots. (and, there are 3 slots (an odd number), so would i have to match in pairs of 3? haha!).

As for the slot 2 alone...I didnt wanna experiment anymore since I found one that worked for now, and I'm only missing a 256MB stick. I was just hoping somebody would tell me "do this and it'll be perfect!" haha. Anyway, I have emailed cyberpowerpc.com - and I think it's under warranty still so we'll see! I really don't want to install a brand new motherboard, i dont even know how...haha.

shackrock said:
I really don't want to install a brand new motherboard, i dont even know how...haha.

A couple screws. :)

If you can plug in RAM on your own, you can plug everything else into the motherboard too. You just got to take note what is plugged where.

But then you have to configure your BIOS. That might be too much for you...I don't know.

I just build my sister a new computer for proably 2/3 of the price to buy it from a store...if it would even be as powerfull.

Not hard to install at all. Like Outlaws said. Configuring the BIOS isn't that difficult either.

Just be sure to ground yourself before you touch anything. Don't rush. Use a non-magnetic screwdriver. You can probably find instructions somewhere on the web, but, really it's pretty simple.

Ted

maybe i'll look into it. I've installed in my comp:
ram
pci cards
agp graphics card
dvd burner
cd burner
multiple hard drives, over 4 in and out..ha.

so you tihnk i can handle it?

i just don't know about all those wires in there beyond what is going to drives for power, etc. and bios...sheesh. ha.

Just do the reverse of everything you did to remove it. ;)

Seriously, it's not rocket science. Most of the connectors will only fit the plug they belong in and go in only one way.

I just googled "installing a motherboard" and found plenty of links to step-by-step instructions.

If you've installed all those things in your system, then you really shouldn't have much trouble doing this.

Of course, if this turns ugly, I'll disavow any responsibility for the problems! :D

If you're really hesitant to do this, check your area for a little computer shop. They'll probably install it for a nominal fee. Heck, they might even let you watch!

But it's really simply a matter of installing a few screws, plugging all the devices back in, and making any needed adjustments to your BIOS.

Ted

boy, this sucks...look at this, haha:
Dear customer,

For some reason we accidentally replaced the memory back in 05/10/04

The warranty on your memory already expired on 08/06/03.

LENGTH OF WARRANTY
The warranty term for new desktop computer systems purchased from
CyberPower is three (3) years beginning on the date of the invoice, as
further described below. Main Board, Hard Drive, CPU, and RAM that came
with the new desktop computer system, plus parts and upgrades sold
separately from the computer system carry a one (1) year

apparently, they mistakenly replaced the first memory that went bad, and now won't help me fix this...what jerks. Sooooooooo, anyone know if this is FIXABLE - not "buy a new motherboard"able ?? haha.

When did you orignally buy the computer? Seems like it shouldn't matter if they replaced the memory since it's the motherboard that has a problem. Another thing that's unusual is that most companies offer lifetime warranties on memory. I thought everyone did.

Replacing the motherboard is not that hard. It looks like you can still find it for around $100.00. These guys show it: http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDe...o=A7V333XL&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=FG

I'm sure there are other places as well.

Ted

my answer to their last email was:
Ok, I understand that.

However, you can not even direct me where I can find a
fix for this problem? Anything that I can do?

Scott Solomon

They Answered:
Dear customer,

Mainly, memory go bad we replace it w/ new part, find someone to fix it
might cost a lot more.

Thank you,

I think they need to go to grammer school...haha

and, they obviously don't understand what the problem is even...I think I'll call them...HA!

Sounds like you may have had a run in with a bit of ESD (electro-static discharge). Always find something grounded to touch before reaching your hands into your case, and always make sure the powercord is pulled out, even if the power switch is off (I know that's obvious, but easy to forget sometimes when you aren't disconnecting anything from the back of the pc!) You may have just have incidentally shorted out slot 2 somehow, causing it to mess with ram cards after putting them in. Just a theory.

You may just invest in a new pc alltogether, get a good MSI board, and an amd64 processor (should have 4 RAM slots, whoopie!). Or if you want to venture into the newest and most risky frontier you can find yourself a 975X or 965 chipset board and grab yourself a brand new intel core 2 duo conroe chip! ASUS makes one of the best conroe boards you can get, can't remember the model off hand tho.

Just my suggestions, otherwise if you arent up for a full system upgrade, maybe upgrade your ram to 2 1GB sticks or 2 512MB sticks (or one of each, I guess) Unless you REALLY need 3GB of ram I think you'll be fine with 2 slots.

Static damage is very possible.

A few other things...
BIOS config may be wrong. Most default to an Auto setting for RAM, the RAM sticks have a little config memory that is read by the BIOS to set the various timings and voltages. Some BIOS versions have errors doing this and there may be an update for yours that cures it. It's advisable to use identical spec RAM. If they differ, the BIOS will have to run all the sticks to suit the slowest one.

There is a very good memory test program called Memtest86. This runs from a floppy disc so you don't have to start Windows and risk corrupted data on your hard disc due to memory faults.

I too have never experienced any ram issues except for one. But that was only because one ram stick wasn't compatiable with the new stick i bought. I find your situation even more bizarre, because the majority (if not all) of ram sticks usually have a lifetime warranty, or so every ram stick i've had has.

i highly doubt it's your mobo - i've had 4 ASUS boards and they've all been fine.

two suggestions for you: a little utility called memtest - it'll check your RAM in a few billion different ways, and let you know exactly what's wrong with what stick if you're still having problems there.

also, running all that hardware off of a 350W PSU might cause problems - you might want to tweak your ram voltages in your BIOS, the next smallest increment in voltage - whatever that may be - might really help you out. sometimes even good ram craps out if it's not getting enough juice.

personally, i wouldn't run any system on less than 450 watts - for all my build i use at least 500+, and my latest system has a 650W beast in her. as far as i'm concerned, the more overhead you've got the better.

also, does your board support dual channel ram? there should be two slots that are the same color - my old asus had two blue slots and one black - two chips of the same size and speed provide much better throughput than mismatched chips - probably not causing you problems, but something to think about if you're getting new RAM anyway. i've never had a single problem with corsair value select, corsair xms and suprisingly, G.Skill.

best of luck getting this fixed,
-erik

Back