How many tracks on PC vs. Mac ?

I'm looking at buying either a PC or Mac and use something like MOTU2408 or Digi-001 to do ahrd disk recording. I am trying to get a fast machine because I want to get as many tracks as possible and be able to run plug-ins during playback/recording. I've looked at benchmarks for PentiumIII vs Mac G4, but it hasn't really helped me. What I want to know is which system will give me the most track processing power for my money. Should I get a Mac or PC ?

I've looked at things like SpecInt and SpecFP, but that doesn't really tell you the audio processing capabilities.

At first glance though, it looks the PIII would be a better performer. I say this not just because of Spec benchmarks, but also because you can get 133MHz RAM on the PC vs 100MHz RAM on the Mac. What I don't know are the effects of the OS and special extensions on audio processing peformance.

Does anyone have any experience ?

and if you get the right parts, you can upgrade a PC later, when they start partying with crazy ram. thats why I like PCs.. upgrade path. But Macs are pretty.

xoxoxo

PS, PLEASE GOD LETS NOT HAVE A MAC VS PC DEBATE!!!! FACTS AND OPINIONS ONLY!

PPS I know, I started it. shouldve let this thread die with no replies.

here we go again :)

I don't think there is much of a difference with regard to your track count question... I think a top end P3 should give you about the same performance as a G4 500... having said that... it is intersting to note that Steinburg and Emagic have recently released versions of Cubase and Logic respectively, that take advantage of the G4's velocity engine and now also the new Multi-processor G4's. This means you should get a high track/plug-in count with these products on a MAC.

You should realise that the software you use can sometimes be the limiting factor, for example the protools Le software that comes with the Digi001 is limited to 24 audio tracks, the machine you run it on may be able to handle more but that's tough, the limit is 24. Logic limits you to 64 and Cubase +- 90(correct me if I'm wrong here ppl)

Ask yourself this question... 'what am I going to use the computer for?' if the answer is audio only, then seriously look at the Mac, if the answer is audio and internet and office apps and this and that then look at a PC...

Being a Mac user I can tell you that the Mac is a great machine,powerfull, easy to use (much easier than a PC), easy to troubleshoot, but not very friendly when it comes to multi-tasking. IMO Macs are great if you dedicate them to one specific purpose, thats where they really shine!

Are Macs better computers than PC's? ... no ... just different!

//NW

I am a pc man by trade and have been thinking of getting the digi-001. The delema I face is that some of the plugins and additional software such as the cd mastering software that is availabe for it is only written for the mac. Descisions, descisions!!!!!

Hold on there tiger ...

Before you go and buy the 001 for PeeCee, make sure you go to the DUC (digidesign user conference) and read all the stuff the PC guys have to say about PTLE/001 for windows... mostly it's not good.

It seems that the windows platform takes a backseat in the digidesign camp. If you are considering digi products, Go MAC... you will not be sorry... Also consider that logic and cubase can both use the resources of the 001 hardware (with a 3rd party midi interface, I think), and if you read my earlier post, you picked up that these products have support for the new powermac hardware (Velocity engine and MP technology) ... makes you think huh?!?

//NW

Back