Is this how it's supposed to sound?

followthesnow

Hola,

First, here's my setup:
Digitech Genesis 3 Guitar Processor --> SPDIF line --> Audiophile 24/96 --> Cubase VST 32 5 --> AV cables --> Crappy Aiwa Stereo --> Headphones

Here's my problem:
When I plug my headphones directly into the Genesis 3, the guitar sounds great (ok, not quite straight-out-of-the-amp great, but still pretty good, in my opinion, for a guitar processor). But then when I boot up Cubase and plug my headphones into the stereo, it sounds like garbage--the volume levels are terrible and the sound is very muddy and flat, even a little tinny. Certainly nothing close to the full and robust sound that I get directly from the Genesis to my headphones.

When I first started recording, I figured the problem was just the Aiwa stereo. So I saved a few recordings in various formats and quality settings (including lossless WAVs) and listened to them in other sound players, on other computers, etc. The sound was just as bad.

From my searches on this board, it seems that other people have been disappointed with audio levels from the audiophile, but not necessarily disappointed with the actual sound quality. (And judging by the number of people that recommend the audiophile on this board, people are pretty happy with how it performs.)

Is this drop in quality from the Genesis to the Audiophile to be expected? Are other people experiencing this? If not, might anyone have some suggestions about where my problems might be? I've messed with the levels (both in the M-Audio control panel and in Cubase) and EQ settings--all with little improvement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Shaun

Last edited:
followthesnow said:
Hola,

First, here's my setup:
Digitech Genesis 3 Guitar Processor --> SPDIF line --> Audiophile 24/96 --> Cubase VST 32 5 --> AV cables --> Crappy Aiwa Stereo --> Headphones
Okay, so you are recording unto the Digitech and then sending that signal over to you PC and recording it again or are you using your Digitech as a pre-amp for you guitar?

Is this drop in quality from the Genesis to the Audiophile to be expected?

Not, not at all. It's a clear indication that something is wrong with your signal levels. And if you're using the S/PDIF, there really shouldn't be a signal level issue at all, it's transferring the already-digitized data from the Genesis without re-digitizing it. The Audiophile is merely acting as a port into your computer for the Genesis, and isn't doing anything at all that would color or attenuate the sound.

Did you try the analog outs of the box?

I'm not sure if this will, help or if it is even relevant to S/PDIF in your case but, I used to use a Genesis 1 with a Delta 44, and by default the Delta set a +4dBu setting for the Ins and Outs in the Variable Signal Levels of the M-Audio Control Panel (Under Hardware Settings Tab). The Genesis 1 had a -10dBv output. These have to match or the signal will be significantly reduced. Try changing the Inputs to -10dBv in the control panel. Also Try changing the outputs to -10dBv or the Consumer setting (Which I assume is for those who monitor through home stereos).

Dracon:
The Genesis 3 doesn't have a recording feature (at least not the version I have.) I just use it as a pre-amp.

AlChuck:
I tried the analog outputs before I went to SPDIF. They sounded roughly the same.

Atterion:
I tried the -10dBv and Consumer settings--neither changes much.

I should also mention that, in addition to the poor sound quality, I've always been disappointed with the levels I've gotten--even for softsynths, which I run in Cubase. Basically, adding a lot of overdrive to each track is the only thing I've done that's come even close to bringing the levels up (on guitar AND midi tracks) to where they sound reasonable. This does bring the levels up, but it has the unfortunate side effect of adding to the muddyness of the guitar tracks. Recording normal clean guitar is not even really an option for me because it sounds so hollow and faint (which sucks because the Genesis 3 does real well at putting out clean guitar direct to headphones).

Back