How independant is an audio interface from the sound card?

Andruid

Hi All

I built myself a nice computer. It has an Asus p8h77-v motherboard which has quality on-board sound (VIA VT1708S). To playback music, I send a digital signal through an optical cable to a nice amp . . . beautiful music. BUT, now I want to record music. I have an Audio-Technica AT2035 mic (I want to have another one too) hooked up through a cEntrance Micport Pro. I have a Casio keyboard hooked up via usb. I'll want to mic my guitar as well. I'm using the Reaper DAW to bring this all together.

Now the question: If I get a nice usb audio interface to put it all into my computer, will it be held back by the motherboard's on-board sound, which is great for playback, but not necessarily recording. I'm guessing the latency will make me want to vomit. Can I get an affordable sound card (not necessarily made for recording) that at the least uses ASIO 2.0 and run all my inputs through a nice usb audio interface?

The way I see it (correct me if I'm wrong), usb interface is powerful enough for four simultaneous high quality inputs (24-bit 96kHz), but I need a sound card using ASIO 2.0. Are there any other requirements a new sound card needs to meet if I'm using a nice usb audio interface?

Thank you so much

Last edited:
I think you're a little confused on the matter. Most USB audio interfaces are ASIO compatible and will come with their own drivers to install. Once you install it, it will supersede the on-board sound card, rendering it void unless you specifically choose to use it as default at specific times. You could use the Windows Sound dialog to accomplish this when needed.

In terms of quality, the dedicated USB audio interface - which is in fact the same thing as a "sound card" - will probably give you higher quality sound output. It will also operate on the +4dBu professional calibration standard as opposed to the -10dBv consumer standard, which is what your motherboard operates on. However if you're feeding a digital signal from your on-board sound optically (digitally) you may want to find an audio interface with an optical output as well so you don't have to bother with the on-board sound. There are some out there, but not many. The optical output on your motherboard is most likely transmitting on the S/PDIF protocol, which is commonly seen on audio interfaces as a coaxial (RCA) connection. You with me?

So, the best thing to do would be to get an audio interface with enough inputs and outputs to accommodate what you need and then forget about the on-board sound altogether. Unless, like I said, you want to feed that optical input to your stereo system at specific times meaning you'll have to select it within windows as your default playback device.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

^^^

Wot Mo Facta said. Your external interface will completely replace the in-built sound card and do a better job.

If, for any reason, you want to use the inbuilt one, it's a simple matter to switch back and forth--though you likely won't want to.

Wow! Something just went click inside my head. Thank you guys. I've now narrowed it down to three: Behringer Firepower FCA610, TASCAM US-366, and Edirol UA-25. I like the feature sets (especially toslink out) on all three, but what specs besides dBu should I pay attention to?

The main spec to consider would be pre amp gain referenced to S/N. Guess what? Few manufacturers give that.

However, features to watch for would be:

-Dedicated ASIO drivers (should help reliability and ASIO is a must for low latency

-Direct hardware monitoring, generally characterised by a pot to mix between computer and input (or similar labels)

-Presence of phantom power

-Obviously the available inputs/outputs

I don't have personal experience of any of those interfaces but the Behringer looks interesting. They mention MIDAS designed pre amps--if they're the same ones used on their x32 mixer (which makes the same claim) they're pretty darn good for the money.

Cool, yeah, the Behringer looks perfect and since it has a Toslink out, you'll be able to connect it to your stereo for listening.

Glad you found some help.

Cheers :)

Back